Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Remove Black Bumper Strips**UPDATED**use this one

MR_JORDZ

Situation
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 csi lexcen VR v6,
cheers heeps man
i started today yet to find once i had done the first strip under my indicator that the rubber on the back of the strip had stuck down with the glue , i tryed everything hair dryer , heat gun , scrapping it off , metho , and wax and greese remover non of them worked so i had no choise but to chuck some adhesive glue on the back and stick it back down . Anyway i could of prevented this by happening ?
Do u live in brisbane?cause i have a carmal wheel here 4 ya?

damoscommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
nah i dont , that sucks i live in w.a mandurah
the hardest bit is not getting the rubber off the back of the strip to not stick in the groves
mate iv tryed wax and greese remover , hot gun , hair dryer everything wont come out hey haha
and theres a fair bulk of it in there real thick to

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Thanks mate! Good write up, did this, pictures in my ride thread. Didn't use chicken wire, used a very large raiser blade and cut closest to the strip, the styraflex just pulled off then, leaving very little on the paint. Wax and Grease remover was a fail, kitten cut and polish for the win. Also anyone wondering, you can pick up a Caramel wheel (Magic Erazer) from any paint shop, they all stock em.

Thanks again for the write up

mattbombers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I did mine over the week end, passenger side and rear drivers doors are great, driver door looks like it has been resprayed at some point.. and the original glue under the strips hasnt been removed properly!!! bit of a hassle but oh well. looks so much neater without them thanks for the write up.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
What im doing with mine on the VP is caramel wheeling it back till its almost flush with the paint, and then lightly sanding it back to the paint, then deciding if ill cut & polish, or rattle can spray it in my colour

mattbombers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah thats what im thinking, i still cant believe how easy the caramal wheel makes it.
there is a layer of paint under the glue so if i can get it down to that layer in the dip for the bumper i may be able to save it from a touch up.
heres before and after
fc23d6a5.jpg

c0013412.jpg

but heres the problem bit. ( iv since cut and polished the other glue off just not the black)
e76ae1aa.jpg

2c0ba402.jpg

sorry to thread jack. first car so i have had anything to do with touch ups

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey guys, thought I'd tell my story and let you know what has and what hasn't worked for me!

I have a VS ute which I'm in the process of sanding back to be painted so off come the strips.

On the passenger side I followed this threads instructions. It worked ok, but I had to use 50 pound rather than 20 as it wasn't getting anywhere. Got the whole side off, but I was unhappy with the result of how much glue was left underneath. I proceeded to use the wax and grease remover, which worked well for the light stuff but anything think it was useless on!

So I spoke to a friend of mine who has been working on cars for years and he gave me a heat gun and some white spirits and said give it a go! So on the drivers side I started drizzling the white sprits down between the car and the strip so it soaks into the glue. I left this over night less than 12 hours and came back to it the next morning. I then used the heat gun (not your mums hair dryer) to heat up the strip and then again proceeded to put more spirits down it. I left this to soak for about an hour. Then I grabbed the heat gun again and heated up the strip, while doing so pulling up one end of the strip and pulling it away from the car. The key was to heat up the bit that was coming away from the car so that the glue comes up with it.

Doing it this way only left me with minimal residue left on the car surface, which I just now need to use the caramel wheel (ebay) to finish off with. I would think I now only have about a solid hours worth of work to do! (Hopefully tomorrow)

The white spirits is fine for your paint as its non reactive and not very flammable! (but still be very careful with the heat gun)

Cheers guys!

aco.vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Execcutive
I just did one of my sides completely, just used a stanley to get close to the paint and then i created a make shift caramel wheel (just cloth wrapped around a circle piece of wood on a drill) and just constantly spray degreaser to cool it down a bit and the sikaflex just disappears :) paint isnt perfect but nothing a bit of polish and touch up cant fix :)