Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove centre muffler pipe from cat pipe (urgent)

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
What are some suggestions as to how i can get it apart? i agree it looks rusted together, i've tryed pulling it sideways, pulling it backwards and twisting it, i also put some penetrating oil on and repeated, to no avail. @notanabbafan if i pull really hard sideways will it hurt my headers and the Y pipe as it doesn't look too strong.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What are some suggestions as to how i can get it apart? i agree it looks rusted together, i've tryed pulling it sideways, pulling it backwards and twisting it, i also put some penetrating oil on and repeated, to no avail. @notanabbafan if i pull really hard sideways will it hurt my headers and the Y pipe as it doesn't look too strong.

No, it won't hurt any of that. At worst it will rip the gasket. Have you reomved the rubber hangers from the muffler? Unhook them and the weight of the muffler should separate it.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
No, it won't hurt any of that. At worst it will rip the gasket. Have you reomved the rubber hangers from the muffler? Unhook them and the weight of the muffler should separate it.
I've removed all rubber hangers and i've tryed puling it as hard as i can in all directions and it wont come off, it can hold the weight of the muffler plus the weight of me pulling down. :rofl2:

pendles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
hit it with a hammer son. soak it in wd40 or crc and give it a good hit

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Run the car for five to ten minutes. Shut it off then immediately hit the join with water from the hose.

Might shock it loose, failing that beat the crap outta it with the hammer. Only hit the pipe you are not using though.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
a mechanic mate told me to use oxy, any info guys? even my friends who know VS exhausts are confuzzled.. :confused:
i have tryed oil, wd40 and crc and dont tell me to hit it with a hammer i have been bashing the #### out of it hahaha

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
When I had to do this I heated it up with a blow torch and I mean HEATED then quickly dumped a bucket of water on it. Worked a charm

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
use a saw to cut right on the join? (coping saw if your not game with power tools)
looking at the pic, you already have a groove there to follow.

just my 2 cents worth of thought