Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove LPG??

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
(for when i get my car in november)

Just wondering how easy it is to remove the LPG in a vs ute (if it has it) i am searching for a vs manual ute and hoping to buy one in november. Now i have seen a fair few with LPG system's and not to be rude.... but i don't like LPG and don't think it is very good for the engine (power and how it treat's the engine) but maybe the right car with good KM'S and mods and ra ra ra but it has LPG so going off that, if i buy a car with LPG because of the rest of the thing's the car has.. how easy would it be to remove it. Thank's

(SIMPLE QUESTION) how to remove LPG out of a vs manual ute?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Easy. You shouldn't do it yourself though, but if you insist:

Turn off the valve at the tank, then try and start it on gas to get rid of the lpg in the lines. Then disconnect the line from the converter and remove the converter and mixer. After that you can disconnect the lines from the tank, both filler and service. Disconnect the wires for the gauge and solenoid for the tank, put a jack underneath the tank (assuming it's underneath the car), undo the bolts holding it in and slowly lower it down.

Then it's a matter of removing the filer and service line. Just undo the screws or pop rivets that hold the service and filler lines to the body and remove them.

Most lpg systems are piggy backed onto the ecu, and it depends on what system it is as to how easy it is to remove the lpg processor and require it again to suit petrol only.

I like lpg though. if it's set up right, power loss will not be noticeable and it's absolutely fine for the motor. For a daily driver, you'd never notice that the car was on lpg when driving it, plus they're extremely cheap to run. Keep in mind that taxi's do over a million k's on lpg.

SuperXmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX supercharged commodore
In the engine bay there is a component that connects to the lpg system and it has two hoses coming out of it you didn't mention what to do with, one of them goes to the cooling system underneath the altinator and the other hose goes to like a tree thing underneath the brake master cylinder, it looks like it connects to the heater or something inside the cabin of the vehicle

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Its the converter. It uses heat from the cooling system, to stop the unit from freezing, turning liquid gas into vapour for the mixer.

You'll need to get the factory hoses to replace the ones modified for the gasv system

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep what he said !

Yes the converter will normally have two cooling lines which will also need to be disconnected and the original coolant hoses will need to be retrofitted back to factory fit.

Angelawells

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore
Easy. You shouldn't do it yourself though, but if you insist:

Turn off the valve at the tank, then try and start it on gas to get rid of the lpg in the lines. Then disconnect the line from the converter and remove the converter and mixer. After that you can disconnect the lines from the tank, both filler and service. Disconnect the wires for the gauge and solenoid for the tank, put a jack underneath the tank (assuming it's underneath the car), undo the bolts holding it in and slowly lower it down.

Then it's a matter of removing the filer and service line. Just undo the screws or pop rivets that hold the service and filler lines to the body and remove them.

Most lpg systems are piggy backed onto the ecu, and it depends on what system it is as to how easy it is to remove the lpg processor and require it again to suit petrol only.

I like lpg though. if it's set up right, power loss will not be noticeable and it's absolutely fine for the motor. For a daily driver, you'd never notice that the car was on lpg when driving it, plus they're extremely cheap to run. Keep in mind that taxi's do over a million k's on lpg.
Hi just a silly question I have vy Ute On gas and petrol but wanting to remove just the gas tank from out the back of the Ute can anyone Tell me how to just remove the tank

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm really happy for you but you do realize you are replying to a question asked almost 2 years ago?