Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] How to remove the hinge pins in a VN Commodore using a pin removal tool.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
This document is hopefully helpful to those who want to remove their doors off a commodore. I had been trying to get my doors off my VQ for about 3 weeks using methods from Savage1987 and Dayvo they either would not budge or I was causing more damage to the car than I wanted too.

After I got the tool from my local Auto Pro for $58, within a couple of hours I had all four doors off and I was a happy man. Be aware that Repco was going to charge me nearly $90 for the same thing, but after the hours I spent trying to get them off, it is still a reasonable price to pay, better yet they are cheaper off ebay.

All three methods have one thing in common. You will need to soak the hinges in WD40 or something similar to try and loosen up the pin which will require less effort to hit out. Another hint, if you are removing all four doors, remove your front guards first. This will enable you to gain access to the front door hinges while keeping the doors closed, then you can actually do this as a one man job, because it won’t fall out. Then after removing the front doors, you will again have easy access to the rear doors.

Just a quick rundown in the issues I faced with the other methods. When using Savage1987’s method, I quite quickly crushed the end I was trying to hold onto with the vice grips. This turned out to be a pain, the grips just slid off for one and I could no longer use this method on this pin. The other issue is that it is very tight for room as the bottom pin goes up and the top pin goes down and the curving of the door makes it hard to get anything in there to hit the pin with.

For the job you will need the following.
One heavy hammer, pref with a narrow head.
Pin removal tools

You will get three sizes of pins with your kit, the largest is the one you want. The pin has two ends, one unscrews and the other is fixed. Insert the pin into the hinge so that the fixed end is towards the middle of the door. The top pin will be hit down and the bottom pin will be hit up.

100_5544.jpg

Push the tool all the way through the pin until you see some thread, attach the nut to the pin so that all the thread is covered

100_5546.jpg

Take the bar part of the tool kit and you will see a hole cut at one end, this slides in above the fixed end of the pin and gives you a spot to hammer. Give it some good hard hits, if it doesn’t budge, try some more WD-40 and leave it a couple of hours or so and try again.
100_5549.jpg

After a little while you should see the pin slide and hopefully soon you will end up with this result.

100_5551.jpg

One down, 7 more to go :thumbsup:

T-roy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
thanks mate, going to be doing this soon

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey man,

Great write up. Will these tools also work for the VT doors?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Another tip: the pins can wear and the grooves in the pin can catch in the holes in the door or car body. Supporting the weight of the door - open - with a couple of axle stands under the bottom edge, padded if desired, will allow the pin to move more easily. It also makes it a one person job as the door will sit resting on the stands and the hinges, even without the pins in place - don't bump it though :).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Drama? I replaced mine easily and without the special tool. I just used a thin stainless rod and a screw jack.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi Losh,
Well done. Those pins are a b.....
to remove. I need to swap those on
my pass side as I need to replace the door as someone tried to break in
by jamming a screwdriver through
under the handle. ( patched with bluetac !!! )

The door pin is very rusty and will be difficult. I have the tool and had no luck using it. Can you explain the use of the stainless steel rod ?
Cheers.

Attachments

• 74784A48-F37E-4231-A87D-F32EB04CFFDA.jpeg
    74784A48-F37E-4231-A87D-F32EB04CFFDA.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 1AFD64D4-66D9-4F71-9D68-149F9AC57482.jpeg
    1AFD64D4-66D9-4F71-9D68-149F9AC57482.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 428

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sure, I just tapped it down from the top. The only issue is you need a rag on the windscreen pillar or it will scratch the trim as the rod will need to be 20cm or a tad longer. Open the door as wide as you can and take out the pin from the door hinge support bracket to let it open up a bit more. It will take some tapping as they can be tight. Once the seal breaks it will move fairly easily.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Thanks Losh. I will give it a try :)