Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to: Remove tint from your car

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I pulled the tint off my windows yesterday. I was lucky , i just loosened the corner with a knife and then just peeled it off. It all came off in one piece so i will be able to use it as a template when i re tint them . Took about 5 minutes for each window then used some methylated spirits to get the glue off . All up it took about an hour . I left the back window as the tint was ok .

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
I pulled the tint off my windows yesterday. I was lucky , i just loosened the corner with a knife and then just peeled it off. It all came off in one piece so i will be able to use it as a template when i re tint them . Took about 5 minutes for each window then used some methylated spirits to get the glue off . All up it took about an hour . I left the back window as the tint was ok .
good thinkin keeping a template, very handy if you are gunna re-tint it yourself! how'd the metho go? ive actually never tried metho on glue..

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
good thinkin keeping a template, very handy if you are gunna re-tint it yourself! how'd the metho go? ive actually never tried metho on glue..
The metho worked a treat, the glue just seemed to melt off . The trick is to soak a cloth in metho and give the window a good rub , Also wind the window down about 100mm and make sure you remove the glue from the tops of the windows before you pull all the tint off. If you don't and wind the window fully up the window sticks to the top of the window channel and pulls it out of the frame when you wind it down , The same goes for the bottom edge .

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
Since I have just started window tinting full time again, I will hopefully be able to get some pics up to help this guide along. So ill make my camera handy next time im removing some tint!

Normv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8
The metho worked a treat, the glue just seemed to melt off . The trick is to soak a cloth in metho and give the window a good rub , Also wind the window down about 100mm and make sure you remove the glue from the tops of the windows before you pull all the tint off. If you don't and wind the window fully up the window sticks to the top of the window channel and pulls it out of the frame when you wind it down , The same goes for the bottom edge .

I second the metho. I spent 30 min with soapy water and had only done about 1/8 of the rear window , I tried the metho and the whole window was finished 5 min later . Thanks for the tip

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
Ive been removing the tint off my windows on my vt ss. Peeling the tint off is easy enough. Its the glue left behind that takes a bit to get off. Ive Just been using a hair dryer, a razor blade, some metho in a spray bottle and a soft metal scourer with some soapy water. Ive removed the tint from all the door windows and now have the back window to do, which im not looking forward too. The back windiw is all hazey and you can hardly see out if it, so im not sure if the previous owner has removed the tint and left the glue behind or the tint is just that old its turned hazey. I have demister lines on mine so i cant use a razor blade. So looks like im stuck with my hair dryer, metho, soapy water and scorers.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ive been removing the tint off my windows on my vt ss. Peeling the tint off is easy enough. Its the glue left behind that takes a bit to get off. Ive Just been using a hair dryer, a razor blade, some metho in a spray bottle and a soft metal scourer with some soapy water. Ive removed the tint from all the door windows and now have the back window to do, which im not looking forward too. The back windiw is all hazey and you can hardly see out if it, so im not sure if the previous owner has removed the tint and left the glue behind or the tint is just that old its turned hazey. I have demister lines on mine so i cant use a razor blade. So looks like im stuck with my hair dryer, metho, soapy water and scorers.
I used a steamer to do mine a few years back, it made it much easier. Then used wax and grease remover to get rid of the residue. The demister lines all seem to be intact still. Doing some more tint removal today, which is how I found this thread.

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
  1. I used a steamer to do mine a few years back, it made it much easier. Then used wax and grease remover to get rid of the residue. The demister lines all seem to be intact still. Doing some more tint removal today, which is how I found this thread.
The back window was the most difficult, because i tried the garbage bag trick from you tube which got all the tint off and took most of the glue with it, But left a fair bit behind. So i was afraid of using a razor blade and damaging the demister lines so i scrubbed about 1/4 of the rear window with a scourer, which took hours, even with a concoction of all sorts of stuff from metho to wd-40. That glue was thick and stuck on there real good, must have been there for atleast 18 years which is the age if the car. After 3 hours of scrubbing i tried the hair dryer and razor blade like i used on door windows. And it worked fine and was much faster without damaging the demister lines.

Last edited: