Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to: Remove VE centre dash speaker

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by TehFastyOne, Mar 23, 2010.

1. TehFastyOne

TehFastyOne New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS V Utility
    A few people on the forums have asked this question and I don't really blame them, I was also a little bit baffled as to how to get to this speaker. Taking the grill off was something I was apprehensive to do as the fit is really tight and pulling on it felt like it was going to snap.

If you pop the window side of the cover, you need to apply upward pressure on the outer side as you work your way back towards the front of the grill. It will pop out. It is extremely unlikely you will snap the cover as I've done it 3 times to mine and it eventually pops off. Unless you reef it out with those 'pills in the bum' guns you have, it will not snap!

One of the white plastic clips fell down into the dash, just be mindful these clips are a pain in the ass to lose so make sure you recover all of them or the cover won't pop back in properly and it won't look right. Those clips are all over the dash. The dash itself is fairly easy to pull apart as well. There are a bazillion clips so don't be worried about pulling. Chances are it'll pop off. Even the doors pop off with ease, you just need to be persistent.

Here's pictures of the removal (apologies the pictures are not in sequence, the image upload system has a mind of its own):

DSC04665..jpg DSC04673..jpg DSC04668..jpg DSC04674..jpg DSC04672..jpg DSC04670..jpg DSC04669..jpg DSC04675..jpg

Troy711 likes this.
  2. Archers

Archers New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve Calais V 6ltr
    wow great write up m8 fantastic job i will be doin this asap

3. aedeau

aedeau Member

Members Ride:
    My 10 VE SS ute AFM
    hey guys, it's ekka holiday today in brissy so i've got a bit of time to stuff around with this. I'm trying to remove the mesh but for the life of me can't get a good grip of it on the window side. Any tips? I've got a small screwdriver i can probably get into the side of the mesh grill, but i don't wanna scratch up the plastic surround.

4. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Only tip i can give is to pull harder :p

Small screwdriver might work, in either of the corners where the clips are (shown in pics) but as you said, be careful of damaging surrounding trims.

BTW, the reason these speakers sound so **** is because they're worth $4

5. Woollie

Woollie New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 SERIES 2
    I did this yesterday. Put a short flat head screw driver down the back of the grill and lift up enough to get your finger in to pull it up. Then just keep pulling to the front until it all unclips. I thought it was going to break as well but thankfully it didn't. Hope this helps :)

6. sweefu

sweefu New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
    They are rubbish speakers to start with, yes, but the stock headunit has no proper means of processing / tuning a centre speaker. If someone wanted to install a decent Processor and replace the speaker with something decent, it could be done with an excellent result. Having said that though, it's a lot of work and money for a relatively small gain.

7. aedeau

aedeau Member

Members Ride:
    My 10 VE SS ute AFM
    thanks for the tips. I started to use a screwdriver in the corner of the mesh on the windscreen side as there's a gap, but it was starting to leave very minor marks. I ended up getting the grill off by forcing down the plastic surround on the windscreen side (it's flexible-ish plastic) and then was able to get my fingers underneath the mesh to pull it out.

I've now got one of the speakers screws out, but the other wont budge. Might have some lunch and then give it another crack later. Any tips for getting out the stubborn screw?

8. sweefu

sweefu New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
    Use a small screwdriver (stubby) and ensure it is the right size for the screw head, and focus on pushing down rather than turning, maybe 80% force down and only 20% force to the side.

9. aedeau

aedeau Member

Members Ride:
    My 10 VE SS ute AFM
    finally got it removed! In the end, I had to used a mini ratchet to get the stubborn screw out as there was not enough room to get a real screwdriver in there. It was way over tightened, no way I could have got it off without the ratchet.

I tested the audio and it does seem better. Got bass and treble on 6+ and doesn't distort/vibrate excessively until 20. Good mod! :)

IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0595.jpg IMG_0597.jpg IMG_0599.jpg

10. doccortex

doccortex New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Commodore SS Sedan
    It is amazing just how much better the standard stereo in the VE SS sounds, by just disconnecting the center speaker. It's a total waste of time, and destroys the whole sound.

11. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    I actually managed to snap two heads off two screw drivers trying to get one of the screws out because it was extremely over-tightened, so I just disconnected the stupid speaker and left it in there!

12. Holdenchickie

Holdenchickie New Member

Members Ride:
    07 ssv ve commodore
    Any ideas or hints how to get the cup holders out of a ve ssv? Need the whole center dash out to send away to get wrapped and having trouble and breaking the dash :-/

13. Holdenchickie

Holdenchickie New Member

Members Ride:
    07 ssv ve commodore
  14. ShinWow

ShinWow Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
    Hey all, so I did this on my VE yesterday and holy ****, the improvement cannot be understated. To give an example, before the center speaker was removed I had the volume at 18-21 and bass at 3-4 before distortion would kick in. With it removed, I now have the volume at 22-24 and bass at 5-6 before distortion kicks in. It is so much cleaner, punchier and louder with that horrid thing removed. Absolutely recommended :)

I took some pics for anyone curious about the trim removal as I had a bit of trouble with it. Lifting the center section is easy enough, and it brings up the two side sections with it (there's a clip on each end of the center piece which goes through both of the side pieces also) but lifting it high enough to be able to access the center speaker cover wasn't so easy. I ended up just wiggling it back and forth and fighting with the pivot points down near the doors on each side and eventually managed to loosen the passenger side clip from the center piece. This allowed me to then angle the passenger side trim and pull it back towards me in order to get enough room to lift the center piece and drivers side piece high enough to remove the speaker cover. For some reason I couldn't manage to get the door-ends out of these side trim bits, if anyone has any suggestions on what it needed please let me know, I felt like it was going to break if I pulled it any harder.

Once that's done there's two screws and as some have mentioned, they can be stupidly tight. Couple of squirts of WD40 and a lot of wiggling and it still wouldn't budge with a stubby screw driver, kept lifting out of the socket. I ended up having to actually bend the side tab of the speaker which is thankfully very flexible and that allowed me to get some WD40 underneath the tab and right onto the screw which allowed it to crack loose. Don't worry about breaking the plastic surround that the speaker is screwed into, that **** is solid!

Oh, and yeah, there are TWO plugs going into this bloody speaker. So it needs to fully come out if you want to unplug it. I did the side the was free and couldn't figure out how the #### it was still working when I turned the radio back on haha.

Anyway, here's a pic dump, let me know if there are any Qs!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. BiggREXX

BiggREXX New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 Holden ve SV6 SIDI
    The toughest issue for me is getting the dam screws of the stupid speaker loose, its tighter then, (no wait ill keep that to myself) but its god dam tight wont even budge any suggestions????

16. Gav5SSVUTE

Gav5SSVUTE New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden SSV REDLINE UTE
    Has anyone upgraded the centre speaker? Wondering if I should just remove it or replace it with a spare focal speaker I have. Any thoughts?

17. Freedon

Freedon Member

Members Ride:
    vu ss
    i just removed mine when i upgraded the door speakers, sounded better without.

18. Alexcarl2009

Alexcarl2009 New Member

Members Ride:
    2008 Holden Commodore SS V8
    How do you do the door speakers hoping to do mine tomorrow might just take the centre one out to ??

19. breenlachie

breenlachie New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 1 SV6 SIDI
    Great read through, sounds so much different! Cheers guys!

20. jone5y

jone5y New Member

Members Ride:
    VUII S ute
    Did this on my car too and can vouch for the improvement but my god some of those screws are T I G H T !!