Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to: Remove VE centre dash speaker

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I actually managed to snap two heads off two screw drivers trying to get one of the screws out because it was extremely over-tightened, so I just disconnected the stupid speaker and left it in there!

Holdenchickie

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 ssv ve commodore
Any ideas or hints how to get the cup holders out of a ve ssv? Need the whole center dash out to send away to get wrapped and having trouble and breaking the dash :-/

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Hey all, so I did this on my VE yesterday and holy ****, the improvement cannot be understated. To give an example, before the center speaker was removed I had the volume at 18-21 and bass at 3-4 before distortion would kick in. With it removed, I now have the volume at 22-24 and bass at 5-6 before distortion kicks in. It is so much cleaner, punchier and louder with that horrid thing removed. Absolutely recommended :)

I took some pics for anyone curious about the trim removal as I had a bit of trouble with it. Lifting the center section is easy enough, and it brings up the two side sections with it (there's a clip on each end of the center piece which goes through both of the side pieces also) but lifting it high enough to be able to access the center speaker cover wasn't so easy. I ended up just wiggling it back and forth and fighting with the pivot points down near the doors on each side and eventually managed to loosen the passenger side clip from the center piece. This allowed me to then angle the passenger side trim and pull it back towards me in order to get enough room to lift the center piece and drivers side piece high enough to remove the speaker cover. For some reason I couldn't manage to get the door-ends out of these side trim bits, if anyone has any suggestions on what it needed please let me know, I felt like it was going to break if I pulled it any harder.

Once that's done there's two screws and as some have mentioned, they can be stupidly tight. Couple of squirts of WD40 and a lot of wiggling and it still wouldn't budge with a stubby screw driver, kept lifting out of the socket. I ended up having to actually bend the side tab of the speaker which is thankfully very flexible and that allowed me to get some WD40 underneath the tab and right onto the screw which allowed it to crack loose. Don't worry about breaking the plastic surround that the speaker is screwed into, that **** is solid!

Oh, and yeah, there are TWO plugs going into this bloody speaker. So it needs to fully come out if you want to unplug it. I did the side the was free and couldn't figure out how the #### it was still working when I turned the radio back on haha.

Anyway, here's a pic dump, let me know if there are any Qs!

R8Gb0dT.jpg

6acfZtu.jpg

e1sIwai.jpg

ll6SkdM.jpg

O0aLSSA.jpg

SgVq8jp.jpg

A6hRMIH.jpg

CWQ9nF1.jpg

hgIYlnX.jpg

slPdAE2.jpg

qcvx202.jpg

AYbyue1.jpg

z0jF5jX.jpg

XBz03k2.jpg

91awGlj.jpg

ORuu98M.jpg

rgRiBzs.jpg

vp3Gh3K.jpg

BiggREXX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden ve SV6 SIDI
The toughest issue for me is getting the dam screws of the stupid speaker loose, its tighter then, (no wait ill keep that to myself) but its god dam tight wont even budge any suggestions????

Gav5SSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SSV REDLINE UTE
Has anyone upgraded the centre speaker? Wondering if I should just remove it or replace it with a spare focal speaker I have. Any thoughts?

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
i just removed mine when i upgraded the door speakers, sounded better without.

Alexcarl2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden Commodore SS V8
How do you do the door speakers hoping to do mine tomorrow might just take the centre one out to ??

jone5y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII S ute
Did this on my car too and can vouch for the improvement but my god some of those screws are T I G H T !!