Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Great how to. Ive got a question though, what if I wanted to redo mine, but use the existing fabric, since I wish to keep my car 100% original. Do you think I could use the same fabric and just clean up the cardboard and put some new foam in?

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
my first one I tried to wash the fabric but it shrunk....DOH! tryin to get the foam to stick to fabric with out the glue soaking through and being visible will be hard, easier and probably cheaper to buy new material.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hey all i done mine today but i only used the fabric and not the foam but yeh it turned out fairly well considering i rushed it lol

oh and good how too aswell

koolkidd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais wagon
ive been quoted around 200 dollars for a job like this and they only replace it with stock fabric and a stock board :O will this work on a vn wagon too? im interested in trying it as i want to do something with the roof fabric and i dont know i the guy doing it will install the fabric i give him.

hows it holding up, is it sticking well? how long do you expect it to last?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
well mines not really holding too well as the spray glue i used isnt really good but yeh this was only a temporary fix untill i could get the $$ to fix it properly as the backing is stuffed anyway and yeh i was told around 250 for new roof lining which includs the new backing aswell

cherrs

oh and how long do i expect it to last.......well not very but it may surprise me lol (maybe 1 month lol)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I did a job similar to this a few months back, but i did a little more of a custom job, and have embossed the holden logo into the roof. Anyone who does it, i can offer a few tips. Make sure you have plently of time and patience and it is much easier as a two man job. Get two people to apply the glue and then two people to evenly spread the fabric.

I used i think it was Selleys kwik bond heat resistant adhesive comes in cans costs about 20 bucks for a litre, should only need a litre at most. Its held my embossing on for 5 months now (the embossing is done with thick cardboard)

Just remember dont slop it on, if theres to much excess the glue will come through the fabric as i learnt on my first attempt at this job.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
I gave this a shot on my mums VS, took me around 3-4 hours and 60 bucks later i came up with this end result, i think it came out really good and clean.

Attachments

• Headling_edit.jpg
    Headling_edit.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 3,209

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ok ive been saying ive had the embossed holden logo in my roof for while, i finally took pics of it. This was my first go, i ****ed up in some spots so there is some glue comming through the material in some locations, however i plan on doing this again with leather/vinyl at a later date so this was a test run. I didnt put any foam down cause i was lazy also, so you can see bumps from the cardboard and crap. But overall not to shabby.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg