Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Replace VS Door Actuator with a VT Actuator

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi, need to get a replacement door actuator for my wife's HSV VS Clubsport. Last time I purchased one it was about $20, now they want the earth for them. Is it possible to use a VT unit? Quite cheap (new) ones are available on eBay. I know there are some wiring differences, but would be interested in the experiences of any members who have made the change. Note that I only want to change the actuator itself not the entire door unit.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
The VS has a rectangle shape and the VT has a Square shape
In saying that some VS (series 3 utes) have the later ones

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Just looked in junk box - VS and VT mounting holes are completely different. So you have to use VT actuator with VT-VZ latch, or pay the huge price (if it is driver's door actuator). I wonder if you could make an adapter plate to marry the actuator, but you would need to take door latch out to figure it out.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Ok, had a think about this....
The VT Lock Bracket is slightly different to the VS one i sure, that holds the actuator. So as said you will need a VT on Lock mechanism.

The lock has a lead connection and a small pig tail lead (about 200mm) connection to that from memory.
You might be able to get the lock cable from a VT so the plugs marry up to the actuator and eith swap or alter the small lead.

I got the door card off my VS Ute (series 3) atm with VT type actuator so i will confirm later today....
I do have to change the actuator in the VX SS, so if i get time to do that i will compare them all to each other.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Took a pic of my wiring plug (VS 2000 S3), you got the door wiring going to this plug which has the actuator plug on the other end

Thinking if you can find this lead/cable (orange end) on a VT and see if it's compatible with the one on the left (yours) then that will make it VT Actuator plug to which you need the VT lock and actuator.

It's early hope that made sense lol.

lock wire.png

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Since you are playing with a HSV George I'm sure you'll want to stay with a genuine unit. All I need to know is, what year the vehicle was built in and I should be able to source the correct unit for you. Also which actual door is it from ?

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Since you are playing with a HSV George I'm sure you'll want to stay with a genuine unit. All I need to know is, what year the vehicle was built in and I should be able to source the correct unit for you. Also which actual door is it from ?
I can check my stash too with this info :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi vs-lover, 1996 build (Series 1). I only need to have the actuator unit itself, not all the other bits that connect to the door. As such, it doesn't matter which door the actuator came from, they are all the same.