Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to spend some cash on an ls1 weekender

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's one of the difference between a crap driver and a good one. Learning how to use the right foot progressively to feed in the power without spinning the wheels.

You obviously haven't driven a car with 'rockstone' tyres then :p

I wouldn't give them to somebody I hated

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
That's one of the difference between a crap driver and a good one. Learning how to use the right foot progressively to feed in the power without spinning the wheels.
Isn't this how all the monster power bolt on LS1 drivers do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

Suspension and tyres are the difference between getting all the power to the ground you have and having to feather it thru the wheels.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I'm sure you've seen how easily a top fuel dragster smokes it up? yer i know they set the clutch etc but the driver doesnt just jam his foot flat to the boards n go.
No tyre or suspension setup is going to stop the tyres spinning with a 10,000 hp engine.
Class dismissed.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
go cam best bang for buck in ls1, had a 232/234 in my M6 daily and loved it.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
232/234 must have been awesome in a 346ci daily LS1 LOL.

Agree with getting your suspension and tyres done right - no point having big power if the car wants to skate down the road and won't turn. Tyres will dictate how many rpm you can hold before launch though ;)

I would also advise if getting suspension, to get something like the Quadrant Bilstein Monotube/H&R kit or even just the inserts themselves with whatever springs.

Your 7k would probably just stretch to having a cam done (assuming auto, stock stall and cam to suit stock stall), and suspension / tyres, maybe a bit left over for a trans cooler. As for tyres, if it's a weekender, I personally would run 'semi slicks' like Federal 595RSR or Kumho KU36, but you'll only get 10000km or so out of a set, and they go hard if not used.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
#### $7k will get you a 232/234 cam/valve spring install and tune($3600 hi torque performance) 3500rpm stall installed ($1200) and 3.45/3.73 diff gears with a trutrac installed($1750) spend rest on Otr rear swaybar and decent tyres1

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
You obviously haven't driven a car with 'rockstone' tyres then :p

I wouldn't give them to somebody I hated

They sound like the Zeeteks I have on the Wagon. Even going 80km, if I give it enough push to downshift so I can accelerate it breaks traction. I also did a reverse burnout when I was trying to reverse up my driveway. useless crap they are.