Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Stop Fuse-Box Melting

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
have you replaced your highbeam globes recently? if so they may be the incorrect ones and drawing too much current. if not they may be stuffed and still drawing too much current. i'd check them and see if theres any faults. if it was me i'd probably replace them anyway and see if you keep melting fuses.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
what year is your car mine is 87 and not got eny probs my bro had a 86 and had the same prob the whole lot melted
:flame:

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
The cause of the melting fuse boxes in VL's is that often you find the wrong globes installed into the high beam side of the circuit. The globes should be only a certain wattage and no more!!! I would be pulling my globes out and checking the wattages are correct and even the low beam side to make sure also that these are the correct wattage globes. If all is correct and the corect wattage fuse is installed there should be no probs. Its only after people have fiddled and changed things do problems occurr. My bet is the wrong wattage globes are fitted! DONOT put the 100watt ones or increase the fuse capacity. They will melt the wiring and I've seen a whole fuse box melted by them and not just a single light circuit. BE WARNED!!!

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
well i recntly replaced a highbeam globe because mine stopd working, i got 1 from a self service wreakers (u pull it) and it was out off a vl so i just assumed the wattage was right. i will check what wattge it is later on. and what is the factory wattage globes??

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
The fusebox just tends to do it over time...mine was pefect when i bought my vl, never changed a bulb but it started melting...the fuse holder cant handle the current draw so it tends to melt the fuse and/or the holder....i just bought an another rail 10 bucks from autobarn (4pole) connected my headlights, highbeams, and soon my a/c (it's starting to melt the box now) to it and no dramas yet.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
VL Berlina 5speed said:
well last week i changed a fuse on my fuse box the 1 for high beams, i put the recomend 15smp one in, and now i have notaced its started to melt
Check that your headlight relays are OK. Sounds like you could have a dodgy one. I'd put another relay in the circuit (between the original relays and the headlights) if you wanna be certain. This will take all the load off the original items.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
clixanup said:
Check that your headlight relays are OK. Sounds like you could have a dodgy one. I'd put another relay in the circuit (between the original relays and the headlights) if you wanna be certain. This will take all the load off the original items.
check? like follow al the cables and look 4 melted spots? or shorting out possible spots?
ive put a 30 amp in and its seem to be ok hasnt meltd but ive havnt been on a lot night crusies lately where ive need 2 used them (in the hills)

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
VL Berlina 5speed said:
check? like follow al the cables and look 4 melted spots? or shorting out possible spots?
Check the relays. They're in the fuse box.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
VLs melt fuses all the time. You are lucky the switch hasnt melted. this happens when fuses of a higher rating are put in instead of the 15.
Even when headlight globes are 'upgraded' they can melt.

An inline fuse will fix this. Or a pcb board instead of the plastic ones. they are on ebay and look pretty cool too!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
In my old car I had new cables run for the headlight circuits, another relay and larger bulbs/ fuses. No melting whatsoever.

This time around I'm going the PCB rail and go from there.