Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tell if HDT starforms are genuine?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
hey all, recently purchased a set of 16" hdt starform rims off a vn aero and was told they're genuine but having trouble finding out how to check if they actually are genuine.

Saw somewhere they should have a HDT stamp on the back of them, is that correct? if so should it be on the back of the spokes with the offset etc?

If not is there any other way i can verify if they're genuine or not? Cheers! :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Saw somewhere they should have a HDT stamp on the back of them, is that correct? if so should it be on the back of the spokes with the offset etc?

So what's on the back of the spokes now? Put some pics of the wheels up maybe?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
the one where the shadow seems to cover half of one of the stamps has 1 and a sideways 4.

IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0056.jpgIMG_0059.jpgIMG_00581.jpgUntitled1.jpg

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If no luck here try the "contact us" link on the hdt website https://hdt.com.au/ and send them the pics.

They do look like the 16x7 version on the website, 1990 cast stamp puts them in the right era.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
well i'm sorry ducker, i actually did attempt to clean them but cleaning the back of rims that haven't been cleaned in god knows how many years isn't particularly easy and i didn't really feel like going and buying something to aid me in cleaning one then and there, plus the terrible weather, didn't feel like going outside let alone scrubbing stuff.

Cheers Jxfwsf, i actually did already get onto them on the 28th or so and sent through an email with the pictures but am currently waiting for a response. in saying all of that i believe you've just aided me in working out the answer, as you've stated the hdt website says they're 16x7, whereas mine are actually 16x8 so i'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're knock offs, was told they're genuine by the seller but eh, didn't pay an arm and a leg for them so could be worse! :) thanks mate!!

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Could of been widened or custom ordered, they have a build number in the rim which is strange, is the build number the same on each of em? and the whole Made in Japan thing is odd, cause i doubt replicas would be made there

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
doesnt look theyve been widened

how did you measure the width out of curiosity?

is there a brand name in the spokes anywhere?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
no branding in the spokes at all, only thing remotely close to that is the "MADE IN JAPAN.IK" stamp but that's all.

and all of them had tires so couldn't measure from the inside of the lips so measured from the inside edge of the rim if that makes sense and deducted a little, was around 8.5 inches from edge to edge so assuming by the time the lip width is deducted it should be 8. not only that the rims all have 816 stamped on them so i'm guessing that's stating 16x8.

Which stamp is for the build number? "no 39"? if so it's different between each rim, 152, 6, 21.