Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tell your about to buy a dodgey car

alloytech32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Tonner 3.6L
great points there, and one easy and very important check is to remove engine filler cap off tappet cover and look under cap. if it has white, milky oil residue under it chances are it has a blown head gasket

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I wouldn't buy a car without giving it a hard but nice thrashing round the block, gee if you didn't imagine what you could get, lots of cars run fine at idle with no load on the engine, there are thousands of problems that can arise when load has been put on the car e.g. taking it for a drive.

666vt

[ no style ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive 3.8
haha when i bought my vt [from a parramatta car yard] it became dark before i mad it home to newcastle, found out my passenger blinker and headlight wasnt working.

got it home to find out the insides of my tyres were all bald [only checked outside at caryard] really wasnt expecting to spend 5000 on a car with bald tyres... rang the seller up and he's like 'nah all tyres are brand new, all lights work and blinkers work'

only last week realized both the inside front brake pads were worn down to the metal, hence the annoying squeal when braking, outside pads were fine.

took the engine cover off to find the top radiator hose is rooted.. been tightened too tight and its split.

dents and scratches all over it 'immaculate over the phone though'

was 'fully electric windows and cd player' over the phone too.

but oh well will know next time =]

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
You can't get a roadworthy without having functioning lights, tread on the tyres and pads need to have some left on them. I'd be taking it to the guy that did the roadworthy and telling the seller to fix it all...

666vt

[ no style ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive 3.8
You can't get a roadworthy without having functioning lights, tread on the tyres and pads need to have some left on them. I'd be taking it to the guy that did the roadworthy and telling the seller to fix it all...

i couldnt be bothered taking it back down to sydney, he was being a complete wanker about it, so i just fixed it all myself.

[on the phone he was saying 'how do i know you just havent swapped the tyres over so you can get a free set off me?']

darren44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 wagon Berlina
bought myself a vt s2 berlina wagon.
1 week later tried to use the rear window wiper.
no luck.
had a look.
no motor.

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
i brought a series 1 VT went to put water in the windscreen squirter's. no bottle or motor lol, :( gayyyy ,

lol

jimmynail

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp sedan
if the scumbag selling it suddenly drops his price! that should start the alarm bells ringing!

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
im a CARSALESMAN , well was up untill a few weeks ago to move into real estate, ive been at volkswagen, audi, skoda, suzuki, holden ec... so seen my fair share of dodgyness.

here is a few tips i used when looking over a car(trade in) that were passed onto to me from others during my time

Check the bolts in the following locations

BONNET HINGES
INSIDE THE FRONT GUARDS
BOOT HINGES
SILL PANELS
LOCATERS FOR EACH DOOR
DOOR RUBBERS(over spray sometimes hits them)

if any of these have missing paint, or evidence of the bolts being removed (99 percent of the time the spanner will remove the paint on the bolt or leave marks on it) then the car has had panels off, generally meaning an accident.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
reset the tripmeter to 0 when taking it for a test drive and see if it moves, i shuold've done that :thumbsup: