Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to turn off Airbag light & Abs light on 2009 ve omega.

09omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 3.0l sidi
scanned my ve omega for faults to see why my air bag light, Abs light and stability control fault we’re appearing and it come up with the following

Codes for Srs: B0079, B0014, B0015, B0021, B0022, U0140, B1370

Other codes: U0151, U0159, B2815

if any one could help me as out as I don’t wont to fork out any $ just yet on getting Holden to fix problem if I can do it at home, was wondering if codes could be all/some appearing because of a larger more obvious problem, cheers

(p.s my steering wheel trip/audio button is stuck from grime and does not click properly any more also car is on 200, xxx kms )

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Buy a $40 obd-ii scanner mate & clear the codes - pick one up cheap on eBay.

I got something similar to this & it works awesome

OBD-II Scanner Link (eBay)

Another OBD-II Scanner Link (eBay)
I thought cheap OBD readers couldn’t clear SRS codes but I may be wrong. Does your scanner handle SRS B-codes?

The links you provided don’t specifically mention the unit can read and clear SRS codes :rolleyes:
Codes for Srs: B0079, B0014, B0015, B0021, B0022, U0140, B1370

Other codes: U0151, U0159, B2815
U codes are communication errors codes which means modules aren’t talking to each other. Such can occur because of wiring or connector issues and/or problems with modules that are on the can bus. They can also occur due to low battery voltage…

So I’d charge the battery first then focus on U codes. As such, I‘d be inspecting the canbus wiring and plugs at the body control module (BCM), restraint control module (RCM), park assist control module (PACM), ABS (antilock brake module) and any other module to try to isolate the cause of the communication fault. Unplugging a connector to a problem module will see U codes disappear and the waveform clean up (yes you may need a cro to see the waveform)…

As such, it could be the workshop manual may not help so much but it’s a place to start, just be cautious of parts swap mentality. U codes are a PITA but watch some diagnosedan videos and you may appreciate the diagnostic processes to follow.

http://www.diagnosedan.com/

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Buy a $40 obd-ii scanner mate & clear the codes - pick one up cheap on eBay.

I got something similar to this & it works awesome

OBD-II Scanner Link (eBay)

Another OBD-II Scanner Link (eBay)

This doesn't necessarily work.....You have to find the cause of the fault, fix the fault before you can clear it from the history...

eg, I had an airbag fault....Tried clearing it with a snap on code reader but wouldn't clear...I had to clean the contact behind the steering wheel before it cleared....

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
I thought cheap OBD readers couldn’t clear SRS codes but I may be wrong. Does your scanner handle SRS B-codes?

The links you provided don’t specifically mention the unit can read and clear SRS codes :rolleyes:
U codes are communication errors codes which means modules aren’t talking to each other. Such can occur because of wiring or connector issues and/or problems with modules that are on the can bus. They can also occur due to low battery voltage…
I own the 2nd one & yes it does clear codes & shows you any of the error codes too…

I keep getting an error code from my MAF sensor temp voltage too low - been using the $40 job to keep clearing the codes

& it’s cleared air bag faults too FYI

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
This doesn't necessarily work.....You have to find the cause of the fault, fix the fault before you can clear it from the history...

eg, I had an airbag fault....Tried clearing it with a snap on code reader but wouldn't clear...I had to clean the contact behind the steering wheel before it cleared....
Clearing the code & the code reappearing is 2 seperate issues…

the $40 OBD-II does clear codes, if the error persists it will code again regardless until it is fixed

for $40 it’s a nifty little tool that can at least point you in some direction or other as to where to look for any issues

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
for $40 it’s a nifty little tool that can at least point you in some direction or other as to where to look for any issues
Yes, OBD scanners are cheap and they are nifty so everyone should have one. But fault finding is much more than just looking at codes, especially when one has u codes… Skill and knowledge is needed, otherwise anyone that owns a hammer would be a master carpenter :p

(Good to here that the second scanner you linked will clear fault codes).

OP should invest in an OBD diagnostics tool and do some research about fault finding U codes is my suggestion. DiagnoseDan is a great resource for improving one’s knowledge of the complexities related to fault finding modern vehicle systems and may just highlight here isn’t always a cheap and easy fix ;)

Me, I’d invest in a VXDiag Nano ($200) and in some GM TDS subscriptions, specifically, GDS2 diagnostics subscription so the correct diagnostics info is available for the vehicle along with SPS single VIN subscriptions so the vehicle modules can be programmed. That way the SRS system can be correctly and safely repaired using dealer software and info so the system can continue to provide the active protection it’s intended to provide.

Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Yes, OBD scanners are cheap and they are nifty so everyone should have one. But fault finding is much more than just looking at codes, especially when one has u codes… Skill and knowledge is needed, otherwise anyone that owns a hammer would be a master carpenter :p

(Good to here that the second scanner you linked will clear fault codes).

OP should invest in an OBD diagnostics tool and do some research about fault finding U codes is my suggestion. DiagnoseDan is a great resource for improving one’s knowledge of the complexities related to fault finding modern vehicle systems and may just highlight here isn’t always a cheap and easy fix ;)

Me, I’d invest in a VXDiag Nano ($200) and in some GM TDS subscriptions, specifically, GDS2 diagnostics subscription so the correct diagnostics info is available for the vehicle along with SPS single VIN subscriptions so the vehicle modules can be programmed. That way the SRS system can be correctly and safely repaired using dealer software and info so the system can continue to provide the active protection it’s intended to provide.
Of course mate, a decent & reliable scanning tool is on par with having proper work tools (like Sidchrome for example)…

but not everyone wants to spend $200+ on a scanning tool…

so any cheap tool that gets one out of strife is better than no tool(s) at all

again, for the novice, $40 OBD-II scan tool & one can at least start from somewhere in a quest to fact or fault finding

09omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 3.0l sidi
Had a muck around with the connections under the front seats and am now only getting b0014, b0021, & b2815 fault codes for srs,

b0014-state: none
Drivers side deployment loop

b0021-state: none
Passengers side deployment loop stage 1

b2815-state: none
Steering wheel switch circuit

also now only getting one code for abs

c0040-state: none
Front right wheel speed sensor circuit