Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To - VT Brake Upgrade

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
good write up. might pay to add that you gotta make sure the bleed nipple is at the top when fitting new calipers. hopefully i'll be fitting the same upgrade on the VN soon. much lighter car so new brakes should work better still. it's a pitty about the plastic fantastic brake booosters on the VS. ican bolt a 1" master cylinder straight on mine and it's sorted:thumbsup:

You'll still find the pedal is crap with the 1" still. Your best to do the booster and master upgrade, the brake pedal gets shorter again and it stops properly with only a slight touch of the pedal. Its light years apart from the standard booster m/c setup.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can use the original booster if you fit the adapter to the shaft where it goes into the 1" M/cyl.

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
When

Good DIY,
thatnks Guys.

But when does this warrent being done?
My brakes are fine At the moment..............1998 VS Statey

Mainly doing Highway and longer distances.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you only really need to do this if oyu like to push the brakes to the limit. the stnadard brakes start to fade fairly quick once oyu do a couple of big stops. if oyu just like cruising, upgrade to slotted rotors with good pads and it's all you need. if you like to do more "enthusiastic" driving then the upgrade will certainly help

Umai Naa!!

R.I.P APY-88V :(
Reaction score
Website
www.aus12.org
Members Ride
VR S1 Exec. A4 3.8L
My VR's brakes are absolutely ****house. They cooked going from Narellan to St Marys (NSW, via The Northern Rd), with an unlaided car trailer on the back. Even sooner, when we put a car on there!

Mind you, my previous car was a VX SS. While they weren't fantastic either, I did get about 30,000kms out of wafer thin pads :p But yes, those brakes would be a huge improvement on the VR.

As for discs, I'm just going to use DBA slotted jobbies meant for a VT etc. I'm not sure there's a need for the adaptor rings. Yes, yes, they keep the disc hubcentric, but I don't think they're worth the $40 or so. If I do end up needing them, I'll get my mate to machine up a pair for free :)

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
My VR's brakes are absolutely ****house. They cooked going from Narellan to St Marys (NSW, via The Northern Rd), with an unlaided car trailer on the back. Even sooner, when we put a car on there!

Mind you, my previous car was a VX SS. While they weren't fantastic either, I did get about 30,000kms out of wafer thin pads :p But yes, those brakes would be a huge improvement on the VR.

As for discs, I'm just going to use DBA slotted jobbies meant for a VT etc. I'm not sure there's a need for the adaptor rings. Yes, yes, they keep the disc hubcentric, but I don't think they're worth the $40 or so. If I do end up needing them, I'll get my mate to machine up a pair for free :)

You dont have to use the adaptor rings... when you go and order your VT discs ask for 040b slotted 040b's are the VT diameter disc but with the VS center holes DBA made these specifically for the VS - VT upgrade;)

GreenLimousine101

Statesman, real mans car.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman - Stocko v6
hey guys, wondering if you could help me. i did this conversion onto my vr stato and now i dont have a handbrake?? any1 know how to fix that??
cheers guys

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you may not have connected the the handbrake cable when you where working on the rears?

you may need to remove ur rear rotors to adjust the handbrake pads, then adjust the nuts under the car below the handbrake lever