Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to you change gearbox oil?

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
hey i have a VT S 5 Speed Manual (Getrag im preety sure, altough the guy who i bought it off said it had a VX GTS one in it????) anyway how do you change the oil in it, i have no idea when it comes to this stuff.

Feedback much appreciated.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
kinkbike_rider said:
hey i have a VT S 5 Speed Manual (Getrag im preety sure, altough the guy who i bought it off said it had a VX GTS one in it????) anyway how do you change the oil in it, i have no idea when it comes to this stuff.

Feedback much appreciated.

I would suggest to you investing in a gregory's manual for your car, they're very handy. but anyway get underneath the car, the should be a drain plug and a fill plug. You need to drain out the old oil, and place the recommended amount of the new oil back in. It's fairly straightforward.

glen_56

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt in progress
You will need a 17mm Allen key for both plugs.

The drain plug is underneath.

To fill it back up there is another plug on the drivers side. Put oil in until its level with the bottom of the filler hole.

vxexec350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder/VX Exec LS1/VN Berlina 5.0
BTW The VX GTS has a 6 speed. I wonder how many other fibs the guy you baught it off told you.

Why do you want to change the gearbox oil? It isn't a usual service procedure. It is usually only done after major work is done to your gearbox.

Pete

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
vxexec350 said:
BTW The VX GTS has a 6 speed. I wonder how many other fibs the guy you baught it off told you.

Why do you want to change the gearbox oil? It isn't a usual service procedure. It is usually only done after major work is done to your gearbox.

Pete
Indeed, it pays to have some knowledge and do a bit of research before purchasing a car.Sounds like the guy could have told you it's a V8 and you would be none the wiser.As suggested, buy a manual, you'll find it will pay for itself over time.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
unless you get the oils tested you can't change them often enough

the small cars i've owned all copped a dead set flogging. After 40 000k's the box would start to get notchey. An oil change to quality stuff would clean her right up

keep in mind manufacturers such as Daewoo actually specify the gearbox oil should never be changed.

Not such a bad thing to have your gearbox oil tested or just change it every major service (40 000k's) as its not a hard operation.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vxexec350 said:
BTW The VX GTS has a 6 speed. I wonder how many other fibs the guy you baught it off told you.Pete

Yeah i thought as much, but nothing i can do now. The RACV said there was an excessive leak on the gearbox joint (???) anyway, now the gearbox is stuffed some people said it might just need an oil change but i dont know.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
beeks said:
Indeed, it pays to have some knowledge and do a bit of research before purchasing a car.Sounds like the guy could have told you it's a V8 and you would be none the wiser.As suggested, buy a manual, you'll find it will pay for itself over time.

Not knowing a a VX GTS has a 6 speed, there is no way i could have known, but i kno an 8 wen i see one.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
make sure you use the best oil you can find, and dont use additives....did they mean the rear seal is leaking?