Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP tuning on these models

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So I'm interested in buying a HP tuner tool myself and tuning the car myself

I mean $700 for the tool and software OR pay some stooge $1200 to spend a half an hour tuning it for me

Anyways I've looked at the supported vehicles list and most of the VEs are not supported???

What the ?? That can't be true?

See here under Holden's....
https://www.hptuners.com.au/vehicles/

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't forget you'll need more than just the software and cable to do the tuning.

Without a wideband you won't get very far.

By the time you buy all the kit you need to actually tune it, you'll be at or more than $1200.

But yes, HP Tuners does support the VE, my old L98 was tuned in HP tuners.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Wideband? What's that mate, excuse my ignorance

The supporting vehicles does say 2005 to 2008 3.6 litres but no other years

And my 2011 be has a 2014 lfx motor in it

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Wideband? What's that mate, excuse my ignorance

The supporting vehicles does say 2005 to 2008 3.6 litres but no other years

And my 2011 be has a 2014 lfx motor in it
Wideband o2 sensor, you can't tune a car without being able to see the live air fuel ratio.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur tuning the V6 they dont have the best tables to work with and can be a pain, they are not like the LS that everybody has used so there is more support for them, if u dont NEED a tune then id hang onto ur money cos any gains are minimal on the ve v6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know who told you tuning is a 30min job. To do it right you're looking at the tuner having the car for three days and putting in quite a few hours over those days.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Everyone I've heard speak about tuning the late commodores talks about it like it's just - upload an existing file depending on which mods you have and make sure she's happy.

You'll still get charged a portion of the r&D time it took for them to get that list of pre-tuned maps. One for pacemakers, one for over the radiator cold air intake, couple different cam tunes etc etc.

Their a business and they won't start from scratch every time, when they've done hundreds of these vehicles.

So yeah I think without any surprises, under an hour is pretty spot on.

AEM have a flash new standalone wideband gauge kit... And it's on special this time of year. $350 +/- $50

If you're doing it just to save money, idk...

If you're doing it because you're passionate, hell yeah bro, it'll probably cost you three times as much in the long run, with no shirts given and you'll come out of it with experience, knowledge and the fancy little gauge in the car that's interesting to keep an eye on (that you can resell), plus the hptuners gear.

HP academy have the step by step tuning process for sales as video modules.

Last edited:

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Don't know who told you tuning is a 30min job. To do it right you're looking at the tuner having the car for three days and putting in quite a few hours over those days.

Totally agree if there's anything custom or exotic.

If we're talking stock, it's more like 5 min

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Totally agree if there's anything custom or exotic.

If we're talking stock, it's more like 5 min

Took three days to tune mine and he initially said it may take four. I don't see how they can do all the parameters in five mins or even five hours. Tuning requires hot and cold tuning and everything in between to do it right. Loading a generic map might be something some places do but it will be a waste of whatever it costs to do that and might as well just leave it stock.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The mob who tuned my ute prior to me buying it may have just done a generic map load. The tuner said when he test drove it that it was the worst car he has ever had in for pig. The mob who did the original tune had botched it and made a mess of the enrichment files alone.