Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So just a money grab hahaha . Just back to tires quickly majority of you recommended the Michelin Pilot Sports 4s. any advice when it comes to the nitto's

I'm just going to recommend 4S again, just got my second set the other week. Great tyres.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So just a money grab hahaha .

I’m not saying they are terrible, but they sell ‘packs’ ie a one size fits all tune and some hardware bits and pieces.

There is plenty of evidence of people forking out big bucks and not getting what was promised. You pay for the name and the fact that you could option it at a lot of dealers and still have warranty, there is a bit of value in that I suppose.

If I was looking at the performance route, I would talk to a lot of people and do lots of research finding a good tuning shop who take the time to find out what you want and have a proven record of delivering. It could be called ‘uncle Barry’s tune shack’ with a takeaway joint attached for all I care, if they deliver, then the name means Jack.

People see ‘walkinshaw’ and immediately assume they must be the best, but they aren’t. They stick on nice badges which make the owner feel good, but a lot have been embarrassed by other owners who have spent less for a better product. My opinion anyway..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
So just a money grab hahaha . Just back to tires quickly majority of you recommended the Michelin Pilot Sports 4s. any advice when it comes to the nitto's

Don't waste your money on Nitto's.....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m not saying they are terrible, but they sell ‘packs’ ie a one size fits all tune and some hardware bits and pieces.
The fact that their packs are named to infer an amount of power, which the cars clearly do not make, also gets up my nostrils.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The fact that their packs are named to infer an amount of power, which the cars clearly do not make, also gets up my nostrils.

There’s a case for requiring standardisation of quoted power figures whether they be DIN or SAE. Engine dyno figures would be even better but obviously much harder to obtain

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There’s a case for requiring standardisation of quoted power figures whether they be DIN or SAE. Engine dyno figures would be even better but obviously much harder to obtain
I'm about 98% sure Walkinstick never actually says that their W417 pack actually has 417kW, whether using American kiloWatts (which judging by American dyno results are much smaller than the international standard) or comparing to the standard Holden used when they said a VF LS3 had Group A 5L Cubic Inches of power. But there have been people come in here with stories about how the salesdroids fairly overtly infer that's the case, "of the 417 pack, that's named because of the power, remember a standard car is only 304kW".

*edit*
And once again, I'm wrong, their website DOES actually claim that the name of their packs reflects the power the end-product will have! Even though you can fit a W950 pack to your SSV and it'll pull a 4.95s quarter under the same conditions a stocker will pull a 5s quarter ... wonder if it's worth me buying one, getting it fitted, getting it dyno'd and using a class-action to get it for free? Probably not, probably cheaper to just buy a better product in the first place.

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
Any good brand for the short shifter?. What Cam are you running?
The short shifter is a genuine walkinshaw, the cam is a Howard's Lift: .578 / .587, Duration @ .050: 226 / 232, Centerline: 108, Aggressive Street/Strip, Mid torque & horsepower, Needs good heads. This set-up is the prelude to the W407 released in 2011. All work performed by Castle Hill performance (Dale Heiler) who did all HSV Walky upgrades at the time, later done by Sam's Performance as Dale moved on. Hope this helps.