Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV brakes vs. SS on VY's

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Would just changing the front rotors to a simple and slotted item with some EBC pads make a difference? Same diameter same calliper
Yes it will be a lot better than stock but your pads might wear out faster due to the slots is that EBC greens?. Futech yeah most likely that was back in the day thou.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
EBC greens are crap. Loads of break dust, squeal and not particularly impressive over stock IMHO. There are much better pads out there.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
EBC greens are crap. Loads of break dust, squeal and not particularly impressive over stock IMHO. There are much better pads out there.

I have always been impressed with Bendix Ultimates, they have draw backs, dust, they eat rotors, but their performance is amazing.

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a

I agree,
i have EBC green stuff pads with my slotted and dimple drilled rotors and they leave way too much dust, i end up needing to clean my wheels 3 times a week.
Although they are a inprovement over stock, if i had the money (and maybe a v8 haha) id be putting it into a hsv upgrade.

Anyway, The rate at which the Y series hsv's are going, selling the car and buying one of them would almost be cheaper haha

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
^^^ so true but just remember the insurance on HSV's that's what got me like wtf?. Oh yeah the dust didn't bother me to much with EBC Greens. It was the cold squealing maybe i didn't put heat in to them as fast as you should.I went to a Ferodo pad worse with dust but no cold squeals.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Nah EBC red pads, they are meant to be way better than the greens. It's only going to be a $250 upgrade for both fronts. Not too shabby for a street upgrade.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I have heard EBC red have crap cold performance.

I had Green stuff on the rear of my FTO the remsa pads I replaced them with were better.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I put EBC reds on my GTS, with slotted and dimpled rotors, and had initial squeal, but after a "spirited" run thru the Adelaide hills, no problems since.
Dont notice any cold issues, but wouldnt expect any either.:smoking:

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yea you have to bed the pads in properly otherwise they will give you grief! I think this is where people go wrong.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Nui, at the end of August I am going to throw some slotted discs and Bendix Ultimates in my car and flush with Dot5.1 fluid, I'll let you know how it goes, and my thoughts over standard.

If you go the same route please let me know.

I am aiming to get a more positive pedal feel than I currently have.