Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Harrop calipers

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Does anyone know if the originals as seen on VX-VY HSV were powdercoated or just paint? I need to strip some for repainting. I spoke to a Harrop rep who said their current range which includes this same caliper set isn't even a specific heat paint, as street cars rarely get up enough temperature to be an issue. But he couldn't say with originals.
Thanks

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yes, it could well be. I sprayed some heavy duty cleaner on one set and blasted with a gerni after soaking. They had seen a dodgy repaint as one point, being the main reason to redo. Some of the paint flaked off, the rest gummed up but the base maroon was still solid and smooth. If I can get the paint to strip and leave the base it will be good to spray over, it is faded and pink so not just a case of clean up and keep. I would have expected current calipers powdercoated prior to machining also, the guy I spoke to may not have known anything beyond emails and social media.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you use paint stripper the powder-coat will also come off. Before you go that far try some general purpose thinners and see if it melts away the paint. Might take a few goes or a bit of a soak. GP thinnners tends to melt most pressure can paint unless it's 2 pac, it may still work but it would take a while to soak in.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yep, will try a few things and up the levels as needed. If it only strips the additional paint it'll be perfect. Another trick for removing powdercoat is Gasket Remover such as CRC brand. It softens and comes off as a complete coating. I've only used it on smaller items. I won't use it on these, only because I'm happy to leave the coating if it is indeed PC, different if badly chipped or worn.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport