Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV l.e.d tail lamps installed , quick question

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
thanks for the replies , how does this resistor connect up . just looked at the bay link posted , does that apply to using it for the tail lamps or only wedge bulbs , as it states to use it in a wedge , will that rectify the tail lamp problem ?.

will this be suitable ?

2X LED Warning Canceller 501 T10 W5W Wedge NO Canbus OBC Error Load Resistor | eBay

thanks

The ebay sellers i've spoke to just now say that there LED tail lights have the internal resister fitted in there tail light assembly.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
yeah thats for the imitation hsv ones that will fit on a standard vf . i spoke to holden just before in the tech section , they said the other alternative is to have the bcm programmed.

so I'm stuck now , I'm guessing the links i added and others posted are only for the t10 light error codes . iv seen other people add resistors to the wiring running from the led tail light . what should be the best way to do this ,

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
Interesting!! The resistor would have to be installed across the load not in series with it. I could be wrong here.
Actually I'm thinking about buying LED or SS-V tail lights from fley bay. I like the SS-V tail lights with the black surrounds around them. I think they would contrast very well with a white car and look good.
You are correct. Also the black does look very nice on a white car

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are correct. Also the black does look very nice on a white car
The thing that worries me about these fley bay LED tail lights for the VF is HOW RELIABLE are they?. Also how are they with our UV in Australia. We all know that Holden Factory Tail lights regarding what car you have will last a heck of a long time except for someone crashing into you but I do have concerns that the plastic used in these aftermarket LED rear lights might start to rip itself apart in 2 to 5 years down the track. As for the LED's well an average quality LED can last over a 100 years but most LED die because of poor circuitry.
Now Has anyone heard of issues with these ebay LED tail lights beside that missing loading resistor?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah thats for the imitation hsv ones that will fit on a standard vf . i spoke to holden just before in the tech section , they said the other alternative is to have the bcm programmed.

so I'm stuck now , I'm guessing the links i added and others posted are only for the t10 light error codes . iv seen other people add resistors to the wiring running from the led tail light . what should be the best way to do this ,

I would go by adding the correct size resistor.
Now what I would do if it was my car I would connect my decade box across the load (the lights) and slowly turn the resistance down until the error code disappears. There is a reason for this as if you run a resistor that has a value that is to low the system tail lights will draw more current and because of this if an LED light itself would fail the error code would not show but if you run a resistor that its value is just enought to keep the error code away and say one of the 4 LED fails I would expect the code to be shown.
Now I'm pulling this out of my hat but being what I am if the problem was in front of me I would study it, and give it what it wants to do what I need.

Below is a decade box. you connect the alligator clamps across the load. If you need say as an example a 100 Ohm resistor to clear the error I would set the knobs to start with to give me 200 Ohms and I would lower it at 1 Ohm at a time which I can on the decade box and when it does clear the error code I would reevaluate the test and come up with a figure of needed resistance needed to remove the errors but at the same time if one of the four LED's fails the error code would show.

HITMANGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 GTS PHANTOM BLACK
Standard bulb =30w, this gives both light and heat. A load resistor has to do the same thing, but without the light part. These things get hot. don't cheap out on the resistors, I've heard many bad things with cheap ebay resistors burning out, melting wiring etc. Get a good branded one, and if it has mounts, mount them to metal to help dissipate heat.

His right get a proper branded narva, hella or LED autolamps ones (I sell these) and they are really good and just wire into the lamp and problem solved

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
where does this get wired to in the lamp wiring? , pos or neg wire ? you sell them - how much ?

as for the VF aftermarket tail lamps LED units , they are rubbish . cheap plastic and they leak . iv seen a few parked at the shopping centres and its evident that the moisture is getting in because they aren't sealed properly . i remember i was almost about to purchase a set when they first came out off gumtree , i asked why they were selling them , they made some silly excuse about not wanting them , but again i could see the leaking moisture in them and also tarnished lenses .

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
where does this get wired to in the lamp wiring? , pos or neg wire ? you sell them - how much ?

as for the VF aftermarket tail lamps LED units , they are rubbish . cheap plastic and they leak . iv seen a few parked at the shopping centres and its evident that the moisture is getting in because they aren't sealed properly . i remember i was almost about to purchase a set when they first came out off gumtree , i asked why they were selling them , they made some silly excuse about not wanting them , but again i could see the leaking moisture in them and also tarnished lenses .

Very interesting about the leaks. I will have to keep an eye on my LED ones when I get them and whenever the car gets washed or rained on.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
you think they are sealed until winter hits and moisture creeps . i remember i bought a set of headlights from the people who make the LED tail lamps before they came out . within two weeks i had them on the car, the insides built up these crows feet like markings all throughout the inside lense of the plastic .

i had to contact them back and ask for a refund , they sent me another set and i installed them a week before i sold me VE. i knew they'd tarnish again , felt sorry for the new owner of my vehicle back then .

lesson learnt - you only purchase genuine holden items when it comes to head lights , as well as bumper plastics too , never go aftermarket , it never fits 100% .

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Condensation in the LED tail lights of the E Series HSV’s was a very common and well known problem.

After washing my car the lights look like someone has sprayed water inside them.

So not just an aftermarket problem.