Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV l.e.d tail lamps installed , quick question

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
you think they are sealed until winter hits and moisture creeps . i remember i bought a set of headlights from the people who make the LED tail lamps before they came out . within two weeks i had them on the car, the insides built up these crows feet like markings all throughout the inside lense of the plastic .

i had to contact them back and ask for a refund , they sent me another set and i installed them a week before i sold me VE. i knew they'd tarnish again , felt sorry for the new owner of my vehicle back then .

lesson learnt - you only purchase genuine holden items when it comes to head lights , as well as bumper plastics too , never go aftermarket , it never fits 100% .

Well thanks for the info I will monitor them very well but at the same time I have spoken to a Holden Dealer that has these LED tail lights fitted on new cars and in 6 months he has not heard off any issues on any of the installed one. He asked me why I asked him these questions ? and he replied with I bet the person who you are talking too is either a opposition company or sells similar items. The guy who I purchased my LED's from has a few amounts of the SS VF2 (chrome type) tail lights for sale so it looks like People must not like those Series 2 chrome tail lights from new from the dealer and getting them changed to the LED one or even the earlier ones with the BLACK edging before they even pick the car up.

Anyhow I get mine next week and will report on fitment and other. I'm no idiot I've been on this Earth for a long time.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Condensation in the LED tail lights of the E Series HSV’s was a very common and well known problem.

After washing my car the lights look like someone has sprayed water inside them.

So not just an aftermarket problem.
I like Problems because that means I can find the problem then fix it then report this to the manufacture and tell them where they failed. I have done this before with great success (thank you LG) on things a lot more complicated than a set of poxy tail lamps. I call it TEETHING problems.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They ain't necessarily going to change anything, they're often quite happy just to keep on making the flawed products with their flaws.

Lights must be one of the things where it's either not so easy to get the right shape so it seals or manufacturers don't care. I had the exact same sealing problems with aftermarket ones for the Volvo; drilling holes so they could drain fixed that. They manufacturer of those has been aware of these problems for literally decades now!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
They ain't necessarily going to change anything, they're often quite happy just to keep on making the flawed products with their flaws.

Lights must be one of the things where it's either not so easy to get the right shape so it seals or manufacturers don't care. I had the exact same sealing problems with aftermarket ones for the Volvo; drilling holes so they could drain fixed that. They manufacturer of those has been aware of these problems for literally decades now!
lights to body (inner guard leaks) I might use a very narrow bead of sealant all the way around but if they leak internally well that another problem that in reality should not happen.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
back on topic .

anyone stumble across the better option for my warning light problem ?

still unsure as to what i should do .

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Have you followed-up the resistor-pack idea from somewhere like SuperCheap?
It's basically what HSV will have done in the first place.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Problem is that the BCM doesn't see resistance or load or both thus the error message. You only have three choices and that is to get someone to re program the BCM unit (not my first choice)or get someone to add CORRECT resistance in the tail light circuit (in Parallel across the load) so the BCM thinks that you have standard rear lights back there or put the standard lights back in. There is no magic to fix this issue caused by using LED tail lights that draw little current, you have no choice but to find someone that knows what he is doing and fix the issue. The resistor adding would be my choice as if you later remove your LED lights then you will have a BCM programed for LEDS that does not like current using 12V globes. Now if you revert back to your standard tail lights you must remove the resistance. The resistance must be added in the wiring loom of the LED lamp itself so when you remove the LED lamps with that little wiring loom that comes with it the resistor will come out with it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You have to imitate the load from standard bulbs, the only way to do that properly is to add load resisters.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You have to imitate the load from standard bulbs, the only way to do that properly is to add load resisters.

Using a multi meter and my decade box for resistance values it would take me minutes to find out what resistance would be needed for each pair of tail lights (boot and quarter panels) Comparing new (led) and old for there current being used in parkers and stop lights mode being the guard and boot lid ones and once you have the resistance values its off to JayCar. Now if you can buy these ready made just go and buy these I would say series fitted wiring mini loom to give you what you need to get rid of that annoying message.
Go for it man if they make them and sell them just buy them and by doing this you won't end up with ulcers.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
so if i am to purchase the resistors from jay car what rating should they be ? and also which wire off the wiring coming out from the plug of the LED light should it be , pos or neg? thanks