Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HUD Differences / Bricked

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok, then the Nano isn't likely at fault in pass thru. What about dropping the internet connection mid programming, what effect would you anticipate there? With the Bosch unit, the recommendation is not to use the Wi-Fi or electronic connection between the interface and OBD port and use the supplied cables when programming.

if the internet drops i would not expect it to matter because the required data would be cached before the programming attempt unless gm is really dumb.

if you were using wifi to communicate with the programmer and it dropped out mid programming i would expect a brick which is why with any of the programmers always use cables, wifi is a bad idea imo.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
No, I sold it a couple of months ago. HUD reprogramming is pretty fast, it's not one that drags on with major delays.
When you say it's "bricked", what's the symptom, do mean the system no longer recognises the HUD's plugged in or you can't re-program it?

Completely unrecognisable by the car, SPS and GDS2. It is unresponsive and does not display. Door stop.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Internet is flakey out here no doubt. SPS has already thrown a few errors about internet dropping out during my journey with it. I am using wired connection between laptop and Nano. I am using wifi for internet.

View attachment 235935

my java is (32bit) 1.8.0_181-b13

they are the same major revision, surely they cant have changed it that drastically.

one way to test might be to match my version and see if the usb radio transfer works because that is a concern that the java applet could not access the usb drive.

EDIT: i had a look in my log files and i am not getting all the java errors that your log file is printing.
there are some but not like your log file.

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Thinking about it a bit more, the Bosch unit is making the Nano look very expensive!

If it was simply the wrong version of Java (or whatever software or o/s that the Nano specifically requires version-wise) results in $’000 module replacements, I think $1500 for the Bosch programmer is looking like good value!

:cool:

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
@stooge can I get away with just the standard version (no adaptors) and buy the 16 pin test clip?

1648869565880.png

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If it was simply the wrong version of Java (or whatever software or o/s that the Nano specifically requires version-wise

the nano does not require it, the java applet from gm uses java with all programmers and it requires a specific version.

when hjtrbo was trying to do the radio upgrade the gm sps was failing to work correctly on his computer to transfer the file to the usb drive and at this point of it all the nano / bosch is not used because it is a transfer from the cache to the usb drive within the computer its self.

it would be interesting to see what version of java revnev is using with his sps.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@stooge can I get away with just the standard version (no adaptors) and buy the 16 pin test clip?

View attachment 235936

yeah as long as the clip has the plug in part for the board you only need the programmer

this clip has it, the green pcb with the pins.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
reading on some other forums about sps, they say sps needs atleast 32bit java 8 update 45

i cant find any official information about sps requirements :mad:

EDIT:

i found this

Beginning January 4, 2021, GM will require all Service Department computers utilizing the GM Service Applications to have specific versions of Java installed to avoid compatibility issues with TIS2Web Service Applications.

The required versions are either Java 8 update 45 which is hosted in the Help section of TIS2Web, or Java 8 update 130 and above. The newer versions can be obtained at java.com however use may require purchasing a commercial license from Oracle (the company that owns and distributes Java).

NASTF note: We reviewed the new Oracle licensing requirements for Java. It appears that this particular use case does not require a $2.50 monthly subscription. As always, it is recommended to do a full uninstall of the previous version with a restart of Windows prior to installation of the newest version of Java.

java.com will automatically detect your operating system and recommend the correct download for your computer.

hjtrbo has v8 update 321

i have v8 update 181.

could there be something with 321?

i would try v8 update 45 which is the gm first recommendation and it needs to be the x86(32 bit) install.

Java SE Runtime Environment 8u45

Windows x86 Offline | 35.6 MB | jre-8u45-windows-i586.exe

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd use cabled connection between PC and nano and PC and router and stay away from using WiFi for any of those connections.

I'd also expect that the firmware or configuration file is 100% downloaded and cached before any attempt at programing a module begines, else GM are very negligent in how they've coded this tool. But nothing would really surprise me.

I also vaugely remembr reading that even if you have a 64 bit os, you still need to install 32 bit java (version 6.xx/7.xx?) for some things to work correctly.

It's all a bit of a clusterfuck really and GM is moving to TechLine Connect, so there is that side to of things to also navigate at some stage :rolleyes:

(slow to the party... shouldn't walk away from pc and not refresh page when i get back :rolleyes:)