Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series HUD Questions + More

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
Okay so, I've spent too many hours scouring these forums for more concise information on HUD's and basically no one is giving straight answers, only situational ones.

My question to you all is this... I'm aware that Calais V's have HUD's stock right from VF1 but the SV6 only have HUD's in the 2016 black edition and 2017 stock. I'm in the market for a VF SV6 and I am trying really hard to find a way to get one with a HUD, even if that means a retro fit but I can't seem to find an answer to if it's possible to retro fit a HUD to a 2015, or earlier, SV6? Lots of people are saying that it's possible to use aftermarket HUD's but it's unclear if this information is all specifically for 2016/17 VF commodores or all VF series commodores.

The second part to this question is, if it's possible to have a genuine Holden HUD retro fitted or does it have to be an aftermarket HUD and are there reliable places in Melbourne, who will do this properly or would this install have to be done myself?

And before people start mentioning the windscreen, I am already aware that I either need an entire windscreen replacement or a special film placed over the windscreen to have this be functional. I understand it's not as simple as JUST the HUD.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
You also need the control switch module that is on the same trim piece as the head light switch. I don't have a definitive answer sorry. But if you're happy to burn some cash, $200 HUD, $200 switch module, $1000 windscreen (or insurance dodgy)... and a guesstimated $1000 in labour. She's a FULL dash out job. Took me 2 days to replace my HUD, but a knowledgeable workshop would have that time down to a fine art.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I reckon that if you compared the value of a 2015 SV6 with the same wear & mileage & condition 2017 SV6, the 2015 plus the cost of proper HUD installation would be no less than just buying the 2017.

The only reason I can see for retro-fitting the HUD is if you already have a car which you know is a good one, and want to keep it. Or you find an incredible deal on a car without the HUD (eg. your uncle will sell it to you for the price he was offered for trade-in).

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Will need the HUD unit, support bracket for the unit, cluster pad and trim surround for the top of the dash and also the headlight/hud switch panel. A little loom will need to be made up and it will fit. There will be a slight double vision on the windscreen from it as it doesn't have the laminate in it like a factory hud unit

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If I were in your situation, and no one is giving you a definitive answer either way, then I’d get my hands on the HUD module and control panel. I would then do a mock up wiring job and test them out before physically attempting to install them. From memory, the HUD uses the low-speed single-wire CAN (GM-LAN) which is available via the OBD-2 port. You may be able to pick up 12V and ground from the OBD2 connector too?

Wire the modules up, test it out, and if it looks like it is working, the work out your approach to having it physically installed - either by yourself, or by someone else.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
I reckon that if you compared the value of a 2015 SV6 with the same wear & mileage & condition 2017 SV6, the 2015 plus the cost of proper HUD installation would be no less than just buying the 2017.

The only reason I can see for retro-fitting the HUD is if you already have a car which you know is a good one, and want to keep it. Or you find an incredible deal on a car without the HUD (eg. your uncle will sell it to you for the price he was offered for trade-in).
Ordinarily, I would 100% agree with you but this doesn't factor in time. If the cost is remotely the same or even a little in favor of the 2017, it still means I have to wait all that time just to afford the same car with one feature that I want. I could just buy the older car now and retro fit it later down the track.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
You also need the control switch module that is on the same trim piece as the head light switch. I don't have a definitive answer sorry. But if you're happy to burn some cash, $200 HUD, $200 switch module, $1000 windscreen (or insurance dodgy)... and a guesstimated $1000 in labour. She's a FULL dash out job. Took me 2 days to replace my HUD, but a knowledgeable workshop would have that time down to a fine art.
Appreciate the rough line out of expenses and time, it does certainly help but I'm still missing the answer to the first question which is the first piece of the puzzle :p.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Appreciate the rough line out of expenses and time, it does certainly help but I'm still missing the answer to the first question which is the first piece of the puzzle :p.
It can be installed to a 2013-15 also as it only requires the canbus signal, only issue is with the control switch for the HUD being close to the ignition barrel if the car isn't push button start so would need to adjust the column toward you

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
It can be installed to a 2013-15 also as it only requires the canbus signal, only issue is with the control switch for the HUD being close to the ignition barrel if the car isn't push button start so would need to adjust the column toward you
Huge help man, really appreciate the information.

Do you happen to know the answer to the latter 2 questions I initially posted?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Huge help man, really appreciate the information.

Do you happen to know the answer to the latter 2 questions I initially posted?
Factory unit can be fitted, search on here as there was a discussion about it with a how to. Can't help for Melbourne but if you were in Adel I could help