Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge power, cheaply.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey guys,

Theres one thing i dont understand. People spend large $ on upgrading their V6 engines. One guy spent $9k to get to 280bhp.

If you've got $3k plus why wouldnt you put in a V8 chevy? Im rebuilding an old holden. Im putting in a CHEV 8.1 LT 496ci GEN 3 - Reco fuel injected motor. - $5400. Then putting on a blower. If your serious about upgrading your car for $5400 you could get a 454 chevy. These engines come stock with 550bhp. Add a blower for $3k and your looking at 850-950bhp. any more and you need to start upgrading internals.

Just seems strange to spend so much money to get so little power. Even a 350chevy will set you back less than $2.5K yet easily make the 300bhp. I know you have to worry about things like trans, diff, electronics etc. But if your serious about power why not upgrade to something decent?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The thing with most newer cars these days, they are financed. when theyre financed, most need insurance. when theyre insured, they need compliance (to be covered anyway) so that rules out putting a 500 cube engine in your vn executive. thats why most keep their original engine or go for something which is/was relevant to that model. dont get me wrong, i agree with more cubes, if you can do it, then i would, but that is the answer to your question i think....

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Yeah i guess so, depends though. Im not talking bout CAI Exhaust Cams etc, Im talking about people who spend closer to $10K upgrading. I would think it would be easier to get insurance on a stock 454 chevy than a $15,000 V6 engine. same goes for the finance thingy. Just seems a bit stupid to spend so much on a small engine, when for the same price you could go something decent, Im not talking about old carby v8, but new fuel injected gen 3,4,5 and 6 V8 Chevys. These thing pack a punch and are going to last a lot longer than a old buick running 12PSI Boost.

Now if you wanted some serious power i might suggest something like

http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/450934/632-1800hp-bigblock-chevy.html

I mean you can have all the rice burning ability in the world but you still wouldnt stand a chance against this....provide it can get traction and doesnt tear a hole through space time :eek:

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
9.1 litre 496 gen 3?? a get in 5.7 346!! u wont be able to bore and stroke it out that far.. intern u could go for a 454 or something but its an old carbie.. massive fuel bills. plus they might have big power but there slow as! i mean think about v6 vengence. that thing is budget as and is pulling sub 12 seconds on low boost... for the same price u could buy one of these engines and deck is out it run a blower on it.. but then u will have a 13 second odd car. without boost.. small charger might drop u down to low 12's and to get it any lower u gotta spend 60k on a big charger to get down to 9-10 second area.. so it doesnt really work out.. i mean i hate thinkin about cars in a power aspect.. coz theres so many variables.. the way i see it the money u would spend to get a carbie engine down to what vengence did would just be too much! there are ways of getting quick times cheap.. i mean they proved it!