Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have a Room in your house that's is Hunger for Power?

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Funny think happened this morning Wednesday 24/01/2024 and also late Tuesday 23rd as my Wife was stopped by Neighbours time twice walking to the shops and Ask her I see you had Power on Monday night because we saw you outside light was on and we walk past later in the Evening You must be a given a special privileged (something like this because the wife forgot what the lady said but it similar like this) because we was watching the start of Cricket Big Bash when our lights went off so we saw you house was lit up and went for a walk at night and we saw a big TV and other TV was on (Watching oversea stuff, I had no AIR COND, cant do it with our off grid power because it will cost $$$$$$) so no air con was off, big breeze, so opened the windows) and she complained to the wife that if you didn't waste power they might not have cut our power off because we were disappointed as we were watching that match and we only saw the last minutes when they turned the power back on.
This Afternoon I will keep an eye out and I see her I will walk down the street and tell her I have Aboriginal blood in me and by this I MUST have more "whatever" than you because my Light was on.

FARK ME, What a Busy Body she is , only 10 months ago in Autumn I went for a Walk and she Spotted me and we talking and she said something like this I saw you carrying solar panels on the Roof, Yes told her I building a OFF GRID SYSTEM, I EXPLAINED TO HER AND HER HUSBAND HOW IT WORKS independently from my other Solar System but you Guess it in one ear and out the other and nothing stuck inbetween.
I told the wife to find the other woman and lets see what she says.
I can Repeat repeat and repeat the same over and over but they cannot understand that I have a OFF GRID SYSTEM that generate our my own power that means if the street loses power I WILL STILL HAVE POWER for what I want to use Except for the the Air Con.

Now this has been the second time we have lost power at night and I have been given some some shortfalls in my system and I will add more Lights needed in Critical areas>>>>>>> Coming soon as the Temp goes down, to hot to work in the roof,,,, I have the Cable, all I need is RED Light Switches for the light fitting I spray it in RED the the outside rim of the light in RED to tell my family RED = OFF GRID POWER.

Done a Check. RED Light Switches not available. Have to spray the flange of the switch, Cant even get a mechanism in Red.
Is this because your battery`s where down to to 20% or so I have a 48Volt DC 50 Amp charger if needed
I do have a 3 phase Charger if any is interested ex Telstra capable to i think 60 Amps per Phase and working 48 volt DC

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
What I have noticed that 90% of the time when the sun is gone Like Scotland those dim days over there they is no wind. any to put a wind generator on our land will be out of the Question.
We have been In Queensland for over 22 years and never experienced weather like we have now.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this because your battery`s where down to to 20% or so I have a 48Volt DC 50 Amp charger if needed
I do have a 3 phase Charger if any is interested ex Telstra capable to i think 60 Amps per Phase and working 48 volt DC
Batteries are down.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this because your battery`s where down to to 20%
I have on my WiFi Phone a Victron App that tells me what going on. Tells me what my 2 Solar Controllers are doing, and tell me what the Inverter is up to so I'm ok to the last decimal point but But, But, to teach the Women in our house Its just about impossible to teach them about this.
What I had to do is configure a LCD Screen that tells them where the voltage is now and If i'm away or doing other things and if you see the LCD in our Kitchen showing 12 Volts or less STOP USING OFF GRID POWER.

Once Again I have evidence on what I do because If I say this or that 80% people wont believe it. Now the LCD is 99.98% Accurate on bother side of the range Low volts and High Volts.

The things I have to do so the Women in our house understand things. Wonder why I'm losing my hair.

LCD is in the Kitchen.

LCD is in the Kitchen so all member in our house knows what the condition of the Batteries. Yes I have a ALARM but most in the house is deaf, including me. Also the LCD has a blue LED so at night you can see whats going on (try to think of everything) because if I go to the kitchen at night or early in the Morning I can turn around after drinking some water and see what the battery condition is at 3.00 am in the morning. I hacked the LCD and removed the surface 1.2K resistor and fitted a 10K one to dull the LCD at night as at night it was too bright. PS Cant turn the light on because of the birds that live in our house.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It has taken me 2 years to teach the girls in our house about the Panel in the Sat tv room that tells them amount of water we have in our 3 X 5000 Ltr Tanks and about the same time to see how much hot water we have in our hot water services tank for a shower. You can see the Red LED are down so one more shower for a person. You don't need to be smart to see when I have plenty of Tank water and less hot water it means it has been RAINING>>>>

And when its dry and the Sun is out you will see plenty of Hot water and the Tanks are slightly down. Most of the time in Summer we have 100% hot water and 80 to 100% Full tanks as when GOD Farts I catch all the water that I need with a unique system. All the above save us $$$$$$$.

The the 3 Panel LED are on so its generation HEAT.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have just turned my battery`s on to run just the house tonight and a few days while it is so sunning in Victoria at the moment
Been busy Painting the house on a step ladder not nice after a knee Replacement but looking for a rest over Easter sorry to here that no sun in Qld
BUGGER
The worse ever in 22 years in QLD. Yes that bad. In the last month the system has struggled, Also not much power being feed (ON GRID) to the street for extra $$$$

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The worse ever in 22 years in QLD. Yes that bad. In the last month the system has struggled, Also not much power being feed (ON GRID) to the street for extra $$$$
More solar panels for both systems?
Would that help?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

It has been slim pickings for solar generation lately. Normally I’m exporting about twice what I use and sometimes more but so far for this billing cycle (only 18 days into the billing cycle) I’ve only exported about 35% more than I’ve used.

I haven’t been using as much power as usual either as the milder weather has reduced the need for the aircon.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
More solar panels for both systems?
Would that help?
My neighbour that moved back to Scotland where the Sun come out twice a year he rang me months ago and told me he has three time the capacity "eg:" 5 Kw inverter and 15 Kw panels and in cloudy days he generate a good yield and when the Sun comes out it clips the excess current so you don't over drive the inverter.

I think in QLD you can have a Max of 10Kw and only 5Kw can go back to the Street