Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I cant get the front caliper back on after new rotors/pads

kiddyl

Cool Beans!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Just purchased new front rotors and pads for my vy wagon and ive run into dramas.
I've pushed the pistons as far back as i possibly can, opened the brack reservoir, and the caliper keeps fouling on the bolt that fixes the caliper back together. Am i missing somethin here??

vy brakes - Imgur

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
That piece that is fowling is the calliper slide, it will just push into towards calliper if not slides are seized and need to be freed up

kiddyl

Cool Beans!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
That piece that is fowling is the calliper slide, it will just push into towards calliper if not slides are seized and need to be freed up

Is that seriously supposed to slide?? I thought only the other side is supposed to slide (which it does so) and the side thats fouling has the bolt go into it?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if you haven't got calliper spreader try using G claps to push them back further .

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yeap it's meant to slide.

Look like it's already rounded a bit. I'd be giving it a few taps inward with a hammer. Then get a shifter onto it and try and rotate it back and forth to break the rust bond.

Once it's out, it needs to be cleaned up and lubed well.

Piston is pushed back enough, disregard Hotrod. He's a twit.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
BTW... There are 2 slides... :)

So you might just need to not only push in the slide you are pointing in, but also slide the Caliper as the front seems to have too much space/room as well... I hope you get what I mean.

Move-Caliper_zpse7cde531.png

kiddyl

Cool Beans!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais

Yeap it's meant to slide.

Look like it's already rounded a bit. I'd be giving it a few taps inward with a hammer. Then get a shifter onto it and try and rotate it back and forth to break the rust bond.

Once it's out, it needs to be cleaned up and lubed well.

Piston is pushed back enough, disregard Hotrod. He's a twit.

Righto. That's definitely seized up in there.
Ill give her a good bash with the hammer and a few twists otherwise i might suss out some reco'd ones.

Cheers fellas.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
I use a cylinder wire brush that fits into a drill to clean the cylinder out with a spray of wd40 , then use a wire wheel to clean the rod or use a fine wet dry to polish it up , replace with lube, there nothing wrong to push the cylinders back with a G clamp . You don't need to replace them a good clean will do fine.

the only twit is the one that has no manners and respect for people like Sabbath .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
People always undo the wrong bolts.....