Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I just ####ed up my interior trims!

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I recently took out the interior carpet to wash it and while it was out, I thought it was the perfect time to clean the trims as well since they were already removed to take out the carpet.

All I did was use a soft brush and dish washing soap to clean them and now they are all chalky! What just happened?!

Please tell me there is a way to restore them to original condition!

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/katoclack/Mobile%20Uploads/20140612_072759_zpsecf54578.jpg

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
dish washing soap is BAD for interior components - also all interior parts, dash etc have dye on them.

post some pics.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
dish washing soap is BAD for interior components - also all interior parts, dash etc have dye on them.

post some pics.

Ummm...I think I've already figured that out mate. Just looking for a solution now. Is that dye available on the market? Anything I could use to restore them?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ummm...I think I've already figured that out mate. Just looking for a solution now. Is that dye available on the market? Anything I could use to restore them?

post some pics so we can see the extent of the damage - also used door cards are often very cheap. So it's the console or the door cards?

20140612_072759_zpsecf54578.jpg~320x480

ok so I img tagged your pic, it kind of looks like it was damaged before and you've just cleaned all the dirt and crap off, have you tried an interior protectant or anything like that - even a crappy silicone based one would probably work so armor all or whatever.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I'm %95 sure it wasn't like that before I cleaned it. I haven't tried any protectant yet. How does that work though? I thought protectants just protect the trim from the sun and cracking. How does it restore?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm %95 sure it wasn't like that before I cleaned it. I haven't tried any protectant yet. How does that work though? I thought protectants just protect the trim from the sun and cracking. How does it restore?

I would assume it will darken it and hide the damage.

the pic is small but to me it does look like it was previously damaged/aged and you've just cleaned any build-up off the plastic.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
With armorall its basically silicone to it 'hides' the defects and basically makes everything shiny.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Google vht vinyl dye, i've used it a couple of times and it looks really good and seems to last pretty well too

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Google vht vinyl dye, i've used it a couple of times and it looks really good and seems to last pretty well too

Is it like paint? Like if you spray one half of lets say a brand new dashboard, will that half stand out? Does it come in a color that is exactly the same as the commodore's black (or is it dark gray) trim? Or is it a type of spray that will restore the original color without really putting on a layer of paint?
And most importantly, does it look oem? Like can you tell that it was sprayed/treated?

Sorry for all the questions mate! I am about to order it and I just don't want to be disappointed. I know I can't ask the manufacturer cz I'm pretty sure they will have no clue about commodores trim. Thanks in advance!