Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I just weighed my spare tyre and jack - Weight reduction

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I just wasted 5 mins of my life............

Removing 100kg of weight will get you 5/10ths of your quarter mile

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
It's funny, in other forums everyone looks at weight saving on everything. Yet here everyone takes the piss out of someone looking for weight saving measures.

I've been looking around at alternatives for exhausts and couldn't find a titanium one anywhere. It would be a massive weight reduction but it doesn't look like anyone has done it. Anyone know the reason why?

For any mods I'll be doing weight will be one of the first things to consider.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
It's funny, in other forums everyone looks at weight saving on everything. Yet here everyone takes the piss out of someone looking for weight saving measures.

I've been looking around at alternatives for exhausts and couldn't find a titanium one anywhere. It would be a massive weight reduction but it doesn't look like anyone has done it. Anyone know the reason why?

For any mods I'll be doing weight will be one of the first things to consider.

Because it's going on a Holden?

And you're going to have to point out on which forum everyone is looking at weight savings on everyone in respect to a daily commuter.

Horses for courses mate.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Holden introduced aluminium panels to try and save weight in the VF which improved performance, fuel efficiency and handling. A few kilos makes a difference.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Bah, on the serious side IMO it's all wasting precious years of your life for nothing with streeters. Modding is great if you have cash cos you'll get to learn about your car and fuel savings often negate the dollars over time. I'm not saying all of this won't improve overall efficiency but it's totally splitting hairs. As I learned recently if you truly want to bother making a V6 go fast shove air down it's throat, hell, I put my 30kgs of tools back in the boot along with the trolley jack cos it makes fluff all difference to the performance (if anything I can get more traction). Just me or five people in the car, same deal (aside handling) the horses and the economy couldn't give a fat rats arse. It slurps down juice like an alco on Jacks and continues to fang like a scalded cat.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yes it does but again, what is the goal here?

Holden wanted improved fuel economy and emission figures from a car that is a bit fat.

They achieved this and the result for them is a car that can compete in their traget market and therefore this will translate into more sales.

In the case here, any saving in terms of fuel economy will be countered the moment you take of from the lights a bit quicker and any performance increase will not be noticable.

Removing the spare makes no sense as the gains won't be noticable and the cost of a fine would outweight the savings found from improved fuel economy. That and the cost of the time spent waiting for a mate to bring a spare is something to consider.

And in terms if a titanium exhaust, again, negligible improvement in performance. Negligible savings in terms of fuel economy but the cost outlay would be substantial. And at the end of the day, its all about return on investment which is also referee to "bang for buck".

In both cases above, it simply does not make sense.

Weight retuction makes sense if the car is a performance car, its already at the limits of handling and engine performance but you are still looking for a fraction of a second here or there. And then we are talking proper, full in weight reduction that will compromise features and comfort but achieve gains per lap or at the end of the strip.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Bah, on the serious side IMO it's all wasting precious years of your life for nothing with streeters. Modding is great if you have cash cos you'll get to learn about your car and fuel savings often negate the dollars over time. I'm not saying all of this won't improve overall efficiency but it's totally splitting hairs. As I learned recently if you truly want to bother making a V6 go fast shove air down it's throat, hell, I put my 30kgs of tools back in the boot along with the trolley jack cos it makes fluff all difference to the performance (if anything I can get more traction). Just me or five people in the car, same deal (aside handling) the horses and the economy couldn't give a fat rats arse. I slurps down juice like an alco on Jacks and continues to fang like a scalded cat.

I would like this post but I cannot see the like button on my phone for some reason.

Consider this an IOU for one like. :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I would like this post but I cannot see the like button on my phone for some reason.

Consider this an IOU for one like. :)

Well I agree with you mate so I liked it on your behalf! lol

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Even if cold air is better it won't be anything like 1l/100km.

dude he has a VZ V6 adventra which fuel economy of around 17L/100km I think a CAI and chip would make a greater gain then taking out the spare wheel......

ummmmm maybe because of the price!!!!! It obvious if he's taking the spare out he doesnt want to spend ANY money. And again hes has a Adventra, a 4WD it would be nice if JeremyF50 would check n comment his own thread............

If it was a serious thread about saving weight im sure know one would be bashing the idea but taking the spare out to save 14kg is stupid

Last edited: