Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I NEED HELP with sump plug/bolt thing

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
had the same trouble with mine..although none of the above tools/equipment worked...thats where a 19mm nut and a welder came in handy. spot welded the oustside of the nut onto the sump plug and welded the middle right up...then used a single hex impact socket and a 700mm breaker bar with 1m of exhaust pipe for extra leverage...

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
damn i paid $3.90 for plug and washer from holden about 2-3 weeks ago

thatd be right, think the dealer up here is a bit pricey for everything

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
why do people do em up so tight ? its not a freakin head stud

deanos70

Reaction score
another way to get burred diff plugs or sump plugs off is to weld a nut onto them then undo as per usual, just remember whenever welding on a car always disconnect your battery and becareful near fuel lines or fuel tank

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
well I finally got it off, it cost be $35 to by this TengTools thing which is made to get rounded off bolts out. Then the new sump plug that the guy sold me was too small, so I had to go back and get another one of them, he found a bigger one, but as I was walking out to my car (well dad's car) I was looking at the one I pulled from my car and the one he had given me, and the one he had given me was too big, by like 1mm. So I went back in there and he told me that there is a third size, which he didn't notice before, but after looking for it for a few mins, he told me that he didn't have any, and that it's a pretty rare plug because he had never sold one, ever.
I ended up having to ring autobarn, he said he had one but when getting there it was the same as the other one from Sprint which was a fraction too big. On the way home I just stopped into Repco to try my luck and they had one the exact right size! ($13 though, ouch!).

So a easy job of an oil and oil filter change turned out to be a real head case lol. But it's done now :).

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
and you know itll be easier next time too ;)

Last edited:

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Indeed it will be. I'm actually looking forward to turning that brand new bolt the next time haha :p

lol As long as you DIDN'T do it up with a rattle gun, or use locktite! hahaha

I'm about to tackle mine tomorrow, getting adventurise. Doing, serpentine belt, thermostat, new coolant, radiator hoses, plugs, leads and today i ripped out all the dash surround(the coin holder/console surround/stereo surround and cluster surround). Is looking awesome so far.....after I realised the indicators dont work when you have the Hazard switch disconnected. Which is hard when u dont use the indicators for 260klms, then when you get somewhere realise they dont work and the switch is sitting at home) wish me luck putting it all back together(did 4 coats of plastic primer and 6 coats of enamel paint so should be quite scratch resistent).

Lovin this car, shoulve bought one sooner.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
lol As long as you DIDN'T do it up with a rattle gun, or use locktite! hahaha

I was very careful :p, I did it up to finger tight, then grabbed the spanner and turned it another half turn. Nothing has leaked out the plug yet, so I'm guessing it's all good :).

And yes, good luck with ya workings.