Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need help with Traction

KUSTOM KAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SVX
Hey everyone, I bought myself a svx for the typical run around and thrill of putting my foot down. I own a 4x4 also which kinda made me go back to having a car with potential.

As you can see from the picture, My svx only has the power option and doesn’t have the traction button on the left side. I know that I can go to the engine bay and fiddle around to turn traction off but I wanted to buy the factory gear selector which has the traction option. I wanted to know if it would be a big job to hook up the traction to the button or if it’s even possible.

** Also what are some cheap and DIY mods I can do, E.g for speed and two wheels spinning as I have decent tool knowledge **

FD97CDC7-8206-4351-BFCA-9524338A4419.jpeg
18A4C04F-4463-49B1-84FA-58A039EE66F0.jpg

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What I herd TC are crap on these cars, most people change the diff to LSD, cost and changers just for a crap TC is a waste of money.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As I understand it, cars with traction control use a 4 channel ABS unit and cars without only use a 3 channel unit so swapping it over is no simple task. Traction control on these models is very aggressive = zero fun...

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
As I understand it, cars with traction control use a 4 channel ABS unit and cars without only use a 3 channel unit so swapping it over is no simple task. Traction control on these models is very aggressive = zero fun...

But the theory behind Bosch's 5.3/Traction Control was modulating the brakes to mitigate wheel spin or forcing power to whatever side has more grip by clamping the LR (for example) wheel more so, cut power/fuel/timing (off memory)
Compared to the AU that just cut power & called it a day hahahaha.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think the VT-VY Commodore traction control worked like that. The PCM uses the 4 wheel sensors from the ABS to determine wheel speeds. The PCM then cuts power buy either limiting torque via ignition timing and cutting cylinders. This early system of traction control is very aggressive. These settings are adjustable in the tune but it's not something I'd do on a customer car.

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I don't think the VT-VY Commodore traction control worked like that. The PCM uses the 4 wheel sensors from the ABS to determine wheel speeds. The PCM then cuts power buy either limiting torque via ignition timing and cutting cylinders. This early system of traction control is very aggressive. These settings are adjustable in the tune but it's not something I'd do on a customer car.

Non traction control models have 4 lines coming off the module, TCS models have 2 additional lines at the rear of the abs module which off memory have the ability to apply braking to a given wheel that's spinning, in conjunction with obviously cutting power, etc
But it's hard to know for certain because Bosch in typical form, well some say non tcs models are Bosch 5.3 others say tcs models use Bosch 5.7

It's confusing

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A

I could be wrong but who knows, it's a German part on an Australian car XD

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
But I know what is in the tune. It was the AWD models that uses the brake system as part of the traction control, the system which was borrowed from the Hummer I believe.

I'm fairy certain VT-VX 3 channel system on non traction control vehicles and 4 channel for traction control. The 4 channel system has 6 lines in/out of the ABS module. 2 lines from the MC to the ABS module and 1 line out to each wheel.

KUSTOM KAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SVX
I’ve seen on previous posts that you can remove the abs tab and do something with the number 27 slot but once I’ve remove the red tag to then view the part I don’t know how to remove the 27 or to get to the wires. I just want to be able to let my tyres fry once in a while

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... My svx only has the power option and doesn’t have the traction button on the left side. I know that I can go to the engine bay and fiddle around to turn traction off but I wanted to buy the factory gear selector which has the traction option.

** Also what are some cheap and DIY mods I can do, E.g for speed and two wheels spinning as I have decent tool knowledge **
Have you compared the wiring diagram between models that have the traction control button and those that don’t. That would be step 1. Once you understand that, have you looked at the traction control system description in the workshop manual. That would be step 2. Once you understand that, have you compared the hardware and firmware versions of the ABS, ECU and other appropriate modules that may have an impact on traction control. That would be step 3, 4 and 5.

Unless you fully understand how the system works and how it is controlled and whether it can indeed be user controlled, I suggest leaving it alone. For such complex systems, tool knowledge simply isn’t enough...

And probably once your level of understanding matures, you’ll fully understand the complexities and find it better to go and buy a track car and play your games in a safe track environment ;)

Last edited: