Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need some serious help ASAP - overheating -

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
go to a radiator shop or mechanic if they deal with them n get them to do a pressure test

@Interloper94
i remember reading a thread about them on here some time ago, a guy put one in his (vn?) for towing and didnt make much difference IIRC? someone else might be able to help find a link

321abstract

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim 2003
ok how bad is a overheated engine ? I just ran it around the block twice to get the heat up to see where exactly the leak was coming from and it was showing on the dial, it stopped at just under half, I drove home thinking hmm to weird, I popped the bonnet and stopped the car, steam started coming out of the top radiator hose going into the radiator, =/ is this really bad could I have damaged the engine ? the dash only showed it being under half, one of my spark plugs was leaning on the exhaust and it got burnt =/, and I could feel how hot the car was, I could visibly see radiator coolant squirting out of the radiator, so pretty much just wondering steam coming from the top radiator hose does this mean the car was indeed over what the dash showed and does this mean I could have done some serious damage, also if the dash was indeed showing wrong does that mean the coolant temp sensor is stuffed or is that the thermostats job ?, after having the car off for 5 minutes the dash showed it dropping in heat, am I overreacting could this have done any serious damage =/ ?.

Last edited:

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
It would be the temp sensors job to send the signal to your dash, the thermostat opens up at a certain temperature range to allow the flow of coolant to keep the engine at optimal operating temperature.
There are too many variables to take into account to say the sensor wasnt working, maybe the thermostat opened up this time which allowed it to not overheat and the coolant squirting is an indicator your radiator is gone.
Best you just take it in to get fixed, if you don't you'll be running the risk of blowing a head gasket which will be a lot more $$ than a radiator, thermostat ect.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is the steam coming from between the hose and the radiator or out of the radiator itself? Is the hose loose?

321abstract

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim 2003
managed to change all radiator hoses just need to install thermostat and thermostat housing, water pump and waiting to install radiator, I have done all the steps involved in removing the radiator except for there a 4 screws 2 on each side holding it in to another radiator looking thing ?, so I'm pretty sure I need to take off the thing that the front bumper latches into, is this right ? if so when I am trying to remove the screws the alarm keeps going off ? and I cant work because it keeps going off, can I remove the battery to disable the alarm ?. also the steam was coming from between the radiator and the top radiator hose , I assume it happened because of how hot the car was.