Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I want more power from my 308

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
Not to flame you mate but when i put my msd kit on (dizzy, coil, 6al) it did improve my pick up a little. also it made tuning the dizzy to suit my cam far easier. though for the money you could get more power with other mods, i just was getting sick of points.

Did you change your ignition coil? Or just use the Ignition Control unit alone. Cause if you use the Control United alone, it is possible to crack the stock ignition coil, should upgrade to SS Blaster coil to handle the more spark/current going in to it.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
I'm running the MSD off an electronic dizzy using the reluctors to trigger the MSD instead of the Holden module. MSD will; give a vast improvment over a stock points ignition no doubt about it, but compared to the Holden HEI, theres bugger all difference, I had the stuff, needed a new coil so I thought why not.. but if I had $500 i' be putting it on a bigger cam or saving up more to go to a set of VN style heads.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Did you change your ignition coil? Or just use the Ignition Control unit alone. Cause if you use the Control United alone, it is possible to crack the stock ignition coil, should upgrade to SS Blaster coil to handle the more spark/current going in to it.

Mate i changed everything. MSD pro billet dizzy, MSD 6al controll unit, MSD blaster 2 coil and a custom made set of MSD leads.

crznvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 308
whats a good manifold to run with the vn heads for a carby

crznvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 308
also do vn extractors fit in to a vk or do you have to get custom ones

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I want more power from my motor but don't want to super charge it or NOS it. Apart from boring the block and putting in oversize valves & porting the head, what can I do?

The best advice is to go see a reputable performance engine builder. They will ask you what you are ultimately wanting to do with the car. Depending on the answers to this question, you can start with the basics to make the car breathe a bit better - exhaust, cam (especially if the engine is a bit tired), carb, ignition.

Next step will be large valve heads and matching the exhaust & inlet ports to their manifolds. Big valve heads will make use of a more aggressive camshaft and may require roller rockers etc. You will have to re-jet the carb to suit.

After that you can do more head work, stroke it, put in a wilder cam, fuel inject it, twin throttle bodies etc etc etc. It really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Also remember, after a certain point, more power = less drivable on the street.

Reaper