Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I want more power

D

dcamo50

I have a stock Vx 6 series 2.
I bought it brand new. Iv'e had it about 3.5 years and am getting a little bored. I love the car and don't want to get rid of it but I need more power.
I have about $5000 that I am willing to part with but I have no idea what is avalible or what I should get. I'd like about 25% more power (50ish KW). What are some mods that I could get done for the 5k? And where can I get these done.
I live in melbourne S/E suburbs.
Dave

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
spare $5K - too easy

1. Sports exhaust
2. Headers
3. air intake
4. Dyno tune
5. tweak engine - shaved heads
6. mag wheels
7. save the spare cash for rising fuel costs

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
hey i definately reccomend having the heads shaved if your want a decent power increase. Did wonders for my 5 litre and even more when i put my extractors on

D

dcamo50

Thanks for ya suggestions, i already have 18" shaddow ROH rims. looks great with my hyper yellow VX. Any idea where i can get the mods done in Melb?
thanks, Dave

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
maaaaaate.....
Get yourself a s/c. Shaving the heads means increasing the compression. So the first thing you'll be doing is rebuilding the motor / replacing it cause the mech you ask to do this for you will just do "as you ask" and won't rebuild the bottom end.
As I said, get a s/c fit it yourself, put in a CAI, get yourself some bigger injectors and put those in get an exhaust high flow not 25 inches round. (prob don't even bother with this) and you'll be right.

The more work you do the less it'll cost. BUT I don't know how much a sc for a 6 is sooooooo.......for me it's like 4 grand.

F

FPVT6

Why not try and source a factory blower second hand and then put the 9 psi pulleys on.Should get out pretty cheap i would think.not huge gain but it would be noticable. :yeah:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
$5K.....1.9:1 High ratio roller rockers, twin throttle body with improved CAI and 3.45 or 3.7 ratio LSD and some head work, but the good thing about the high ratio roller rockers is that they often don't affect your insurance as they are difficult to detect (depending on what brand you install)
But for bang for your buck probably any form of forced induction Super or Turbo charger......that's my 2 cents worth.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
i know that vortech are probably the best but im not payin 7 grand for a kit, where could i pick up a cheap side mount.
I dont want to go for the factory top mount coz there's to much &%#$ing around.
If i do get a sidemount, should i try to get a factory VT S/C memcal.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
here we go:
Diff ratio 3.08 to 3.45 or 3.7 $1000
Extractors, Cold Air Intake and 2.5 high flow exhaust system $1500
K&N air filter $150
Chip $ Not sure

I was promised (the guy was gonna prove on a dyno before and after) that the above except the chip will give me 20-30kw gain easy. chip would definitely get you over the 50Kw.

If you put supercharger you'd be stupid not to rebuild the engine or strengthen the bottom end. i have seen a v6 with head work done and supercharged only to see a conrod pierce through the block. wave goodbye to your engine.