Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by gwog3, Sep 20, 2019.

1. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    Hi all
    Just want to let people know how lifetime loyal customers get treated by customer assistance when you have an issue . I recently purchased a new zb vxr commodore my 5th new Holden) which has now got 8000 Kim on it , great car but with a major issue ie I took the car in for early service as the oil condition light came on recommending an oil change so decided to get it done at the selling dealer ( supposed to be 12000 Kim between services) when I went to pick up the car after service I was informed that all 4 tyres needed replacing as they were scuffed out on the inner edge when asked why they could not explain why the premature wear was happening and was told to call customer care for help . Customer care wanted the wheel alignment to be checked at Holden dealership , results were sent to Holden customer care and few days later customer care rang and informed me that the wheel alignment results are fine and the tyres were worn due to normal wear and tear and closed the case with no assistance whatsoever, can anybody tell me how I could possibly wear out a set of tyres in just 8000k in a v6 awd commodore , when my previous car was a vf ssv which the tyres lasted 40000 k (the only possible cause is wheel alignment or a suspension issue ) but Holden are offering no help in the matter but they do expect me to fork out $2000 for tyres every time the cars due for an oil change . Not got good enough Holden therefore I will never buy another Holden product , just in principle

Fu Manchu and tuckerbag like this.
  2. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Take to an independent wheel alignment shop and see what they say.

3. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    already booked in for next week , but I doubt it will do any good as Holden have already closed the case and told me they wouldn't do a thing even when I told them it would be all over social media they said go for it , so this is just my starting point

4. tuckerbag

tuckerbag Active Member

Members Ride:
    vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
    Local dealer charged a work collegue $4207 to replace the f/r control arm bushes in his 100000 km old craptiva. And holden can’t work out why we dispise em

5. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    For once I'm on your side Feel free to bag Holden as much as you like

tuckerbag likes this.
  6. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Social media has very little impact unless it's something stupid bad or they accidentally discriminated against some lame minority. You need to go down the Consumer laws path, you're far more likely to get a result out of them, particularly at 8k Kms old.

Seems you didn't notice excessive wear before they told you. Do the tyres actually need to be replaced?

wetwork65 and losh1971 like this.
  7. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Photos of said tyres?

8. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Got pics of the tyres?

Is the oil condition light an actual feature on this model or just a superfluous system used by other markets?

9. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Members Ride:
    VE LPG
    Smitty likes this.
  10. DavesSV6Tonner

DavesSV6Tonner Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
    Why do people not get a second opinion before authorizing expensive, and sometimes unnecessary, repairs be carried out?

11. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @gwog3 it’s great Holden stated that wheel alignment is ok and it’s just normal wear and tear. Reason being, that if it’s normal wear and tear which requires tires be replaced every 8000kms, most normal people would consider this so sub standard that it doesn’t meet market expectations. This is defined as not ‘fit for purpose’ or not ‘of merchandisable quality’ or whatever the term is in the Australian Consumer Law. As such it should work to your advantage.

So get whatever HCC has said in writing and then ring Fair trading to discuss the strategy on how to resolve this problem (including classifying the as a possible major fault where you can choose the remedy as being a full purchase price refund).

If you want to read more about ACL and it’s workings, read the Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING thread within the VF forum as it has lots of references and views (some strongly contradictory).

@DavesSV6Tonner reason many don’t get a second opinion is they trust the dealer and don’t know anything about vehicle mechanics/electrics or have any idea about their legal rights under ACL. Ones lack of knowledge doesn’t excuse dealer fraud (=benefit by deception) or put the blame on the vehicle owner.

DavesSV6Tonner and tuckerbag like this.
  12. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    12,000 kms isn't much at all. I wodner if the VXR's have softer/stickier tyres then the RSV's? My RSV has done a little over 12,000 and the fronts are probably worn and the rears about 1/2. Still Continentals but possibly harder rubber? Interesting to see what other VXR owners get from their tyres...

On a more general note, it seems that over the last 30 years cars have gotten a lot faster and relatively cheaper to buy, but also a lot more complicated, i.e. more parts, particularly in the suspension, so that for example completely re-bushing a suspension is cost prohibitive. Eg. IRS suspensions vs the old five link rear end with perhaps 10 rubber bushes in the trailing arms and panhard rod :-(

13. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    Tyres look perfect on the outside half but gradually appear worn towards the inside half , vehicle had its first service at 2500k and there was no mention of tyre wear . Vehicle steers and handles perfectly and yes front tyres are not legal as far as wear goes

14. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    Funny you should quote the vf sudden loss of power steering when driving , this is the reason I got rid of my vf Ssv as I lost confidence in the car when this happened to my wife and she nearly lost control as it happened going around a sweeping bend on the highway

15. gwog3

gwog3 New Member

Members Ride:
    Zb vxr
    https://aunz.citnow.com/vxRC2STjzkx
    Type this link in and it will show you the service report sent to me by the servicing dealer

16. DavesSV6Tonner

DavesSV6Tonner Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
    The video report is a great piece of evidence.

I had the inside edge of the drivers side front tyre (factory fitted Bridgestones) on my VZ scuffing. My Holden dealer never said a word about it during any of the services.
    My Tyre guy picked it up when I went in for a puncture repair. Said I needed a wheel alignment, whoever had done it before hadn't done it right.
    Told him the settings were as it left GMH.

17. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB MY18 Calais V Tourer , VF MY14 Calais V
    Makes me want to get a wheel alignment to be sure.

18. kos

kos Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Lt
    Its an unacceptable situation for tyres to wear out at 8000kms.
    My tyres last 80000kms but I get an 4 wheel alignment/balance/rotation at Jax every 100000.

But at that 10000 mark it always definitely needs a 4 wheel alignment .

Reading this issue makes me think this AWD system etc is maybe too much trouble on the ZB,s.

Badgerdog how is your car?

19. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Just as an aside, how does somebody work for Holden for 20 years and come away with no contacts or grasping of the inner workings of Customer Care?

20. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car