Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idle air control rod length settings

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
Hey folks as the title states im needing to know the rod length setting for the idle air control valve for a vr series 2,am also doing new OEM throttle position sensor,new genuine gasket,new genuine vacuum bypas hose from throttle body to motor, thankyou in advance for any help guys/girls...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The distance between the tip of the pintle and the flange mounting surface must be less than 28mm.

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
also have another issue with the car,first cold start up the revs are on 1000,put it in gear,drops down to where it should,then after driving around and arriving to work i put the car in park and the revs are about 1100,now the confusing thing is before i had to replace all these components in the throttle body the car wouldn't rev over 1000 when cold or warm,any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You need to reset the idle. With a warm engine, reset the PCM then start the engine and hold it at 2000 rpm for 10 seconds and then let the throttle go and the IAC will reset the idle. Generally it will idle fairly high at first and then slowly come down to the desired idle rpm.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
The pcm is learning it will do that for a while...if you want to reset just disco the battery for a few min..reconnect and start the car... count off 5 sec and turn off the ignition..then restart the car,you should hear it stumble or it may even stall as the IAC resets...let the idle settle/car warms up a bit, then with the brakes on(assuming its an auto), select reverse let idle settle,then drive idle settle then repeat with aircon on...this way is much easier on the car. The other way is rev the engine above 2k rpm for about 30 or more seconds after reconnecting the battery..This can be done whilst driving I believe, besides holding 2k for a time on a cold old engine in the driveway scares me :) plus it mask's any vacuum or ignition issues....

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
thanks heaps guy will try these in the morning and see how i go,hopefully it remedies these issues.

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
hey guys am still having issues with the car,took it down to my mechanics today got my auto sparky mate to do a scan of the ecu,came up code 036,vacuum leak.Now i was wondering if an air filter with a piece of its rubber seal missing that sits in the bottom airbox and also if the bottom airbox had a busted clip would that cause this vac leak and make the car idle erratically and also rev by itself in park/neutral when warm?????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Vac leak will most likely be after the point the vacuum source for the MAP sensor.

Nothing before the TB will be of consequence (unless of course it's a MAF based system). Look for vac leaks at manifold gaskets, TB/elbow gaskets and things like split hoses, pinched injector O rings etc.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
With car running spray some wd40 carefully and minimally around the vacuum lines..the rpm will change when your close to the area of the leak...A common one is the short line between the TB and fuel pressure reg
The MAP sensor line can leak as well..failing that if your also having issues with the heater controls might pay to check the hoses on the vacuum ball under the passenger side front guard

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
hey guys i was wondering if there are any vacuum line kits that are available to purchase as it would be a lot easier that way instead of getting say 1 or 2 lines at a time????any help would be appreciated thanks