Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

If a person was born deaf, Then what language do they think in?

csimmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec
They don't know sound, so don't 'speak a laungage. I'm pretty sure they'pictuer' it instead. But for a lot of people where 1 sense has failed the others become inhanced to make up for it, even cross talking. So they may 'feel' the word or even taste it. At least that is from what I understand from documentry watching

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Steven Pinker has written a book about languages and the basis of language development. I teach English for a living so the development of language and how people learn is of particular interest to me.

Pinker wrote a book called The Language Instinct. In a chapter titled Mentalese, he explains why the notion that people ‘think in’ a certain language is not just wrong, but also absurd. The idea itself is common enough that most people implicitly accept it to be true. For example, Pinker notes George Orwell’s idea of Newspeak, a language developed by a totalitarian state that has no words for freedom, or equality and so forth… Orwell says that ‘in so far as thought is determined by words, the people who knew no language other than Newspeak would have no idea of political freedom’.

Pinker then points out that if thoughts were determined by words – any words, to say nothing of words of a particular language – one wouldn’t be able to teach a child a language to begin with, or say something when one meant something else, or coin new words, and so on. The right way to look at thought and language is that we think in an abstract mental language (mentalese), which, it turns out, is universal in human beings; a caucasian’s mentalese is the same as that of a Chinese which is same as that of an African. The conversion from mentalese to an actual language takes some learning, and it is here that deaf people have a problem.

Learning a language, at least insofar as internalizing it goes, becomes very steeply harder with age. It has been noted, for example, that people who are congenitally deaf have a hard time expressing themselves, if their deafness wasn’t discovered early enough, or if they weren’t taught sign language early enough. It may seem that this might make one think that the deaf think ‘in sign language’, but this isn’t true. Congenitally deaf people are just as intelligent as normal people in non-verbal modes of intelligence. (They have an obvious handicap, if they haven’t been taught sign language, when it comes to verbal intelligence tests).

In short, then, deaf people think in the same language that non-deaf people think in – mentalese. They just have no outlet which is as convenient as non-deaf people (and I should know, mind… I can’t mime a galloping horse, much less memorise an abstract movement for one!).

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
On a side note, German girls. Worth the Hype mate? I've heard stories....

Well they're up for anything, and by anything I mean ~anything~. But the cultural differences are too great. No meat pies, no custard and apple pies... they do not eat much meat at all for their meals. Whereas to me meat is the main part of a meal and anything else is just a side.

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
As far as i know sign language is universal and certainly has its slang words besides that lip reading is a big part of the deaf community.In saying that you certainly have alot of time to think considering this is a car forum but good on ya for thinking.

Hektic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Ignition Orange
Or do blind ppl 'see' in their dreams?

Blind peaple cant "see" in there dreams as they cant Imagine anything becouse there brain has no memory of Images thats if ther born blind. if you became blind then u can imagine and dream and see what you like by imaganing.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Steven Pinker has written a book about languages and the basis of language development. I teach English for a living so the development of language and how people learn is of particular interest to me.

Pinker wrote a book called The Language Instinct. In a chapter titled Mentalese, he explains why the notion that people ‘think in’ a certain language is not just wrong, but also absurd. The idea itself is common enough that most people implicitly accept it to be true. For example, Pinker notes George Orwell’s idea of Newspeak, a language developed by a totalitarian state that has no words for freedom, or equality and so forth… Orwell says that ‘in so far as thought is determined by words, the people who knew no language other than Newspeak would have no idea of political freedom’.

Pinker then points out that if thoughts were determined by words – any words, to say nothing of words of a particular language – one wouldn’t be able to teach a child a language to begin with, or say something when one meant something else, or coin new words, and so on. The right way to look at thought and language is that we think in an abstract mental language (mentalese), which, it turns out, is universal in human beings; a caucasian’s mentalese is the same as that of a Chinese which is same as that of an African. The conversion from mentalese to an actual language takes some learning, and it is here that deaf people have a problem.

Learning a language, at least insofar as internalizing it goes, becomes very steeply harder with age. It has been noted, for example, that people who are congenitally deaf have a hard time expressing themselves, if their deafness wasn’t discovered early enough, or if they weren’t taught sign language early enough. It may seem that this might make one think that the deaf think ‘in sign language’, but this isn’t true. Congenitally deaf people are just as intelligent as normal people in non-verbal modes of intelligence. (They have an obvious handicap, if they haven’t been taught sign language, when it comes to verbal intelligence tests).

In short, then, deaf people think in the same language that non-deaf people think in – mentalese. They just have no outlet which is as convenient as non-deaf people (and I should know, mind… I can’t mime a galloping horse, much less memorise an abstract movement for one!).

Very interesting ideas there but I just cant grasp the concept of "menatlese". To me, I definitely think in a voice and the voice is in english. And in a silent way my thoughts sounds like my voice which sucks because I hate listening to myself ramble on silently all day at work when im thinking working **** out and. If I could choose the sound of my thoughts I'd sound less like me and more like Mufasa

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
cant help but think hozy is taking the piss here

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Very interesting ideas there but I just cant grasp the concept of "menatlese". To me, I definitely think in a voice and the voice is in english. And in a silent way my thoughts sounds like my voice which sucks because I hate listening to myself ramble on silently all day at work when im thinking working **** out and. If I could choose the sound of my thoughts I'd sound less like me and more like Mufasa

When you are having a conversation with yourself or thinking about a certain situation and what you would do, then you do tend to "verbalise" your thoughts in your mind. But in general, thoughts are not "talking in your head" so thinking in a certain language or even in sign language in the case of deaf people isn't really how it works. If that was the case and you have never had any exposure to a verbal language, how would you "think"?

I know that I will start "verbalising" a thought in my head but it ends up turning into more of a visual scenario than me talking to myself.