Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition stuck?

Idiot_in_training

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
just started working on the vr that has been sitting in the driveway for 12 odd months,

jump started it twice with no problems after topping up oil, and raditator,

but when i went to jump start it again, the key when in the igntion would not turn at all..., it is a re-cut key, tried the old key as well,

any ideas?

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
If you take the barrel apart you should find a broken pin from memory, that means barrel is rooted. it happened to mine as well as two other vr's i know of. Goes from working to siezed in one start same experience for my two mates. It was a long time ago but it happened to me at a shopping center and i drove home, from memory i used a screw driver to turn the barrel with the key in the front part for the immobiliser.

Cops told me that thieves use the cold/hot switch on this era of commodores in the back of the barrel to start the engine but on vrs they struggle because of the immobiliser

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
some times when using a cut key it moves the tumblers, i lost my new key the other day and had to use the spar and it was a prick of a thing, had to sorta pull gently whilst turning and play around a bit etc, i than found my new cut key and tryed to use it and did the same thing, now since i used the old key i need to play with it a bit to get it to turn. i need to re code my barrel but i got other issues to deal with first.

also depending on whats wrong it could be the broken barrel which means a new barrel anyways.

somethings to try that has worked for me on brake downs is tap the key whilst turning, tap the barrel before inserting the key, try the push pull method where as whilst turning the key you pull and push the key in and out gently, 9 times out of 10 it works other times its a hammer and chisel.

oh and if the key turns and you get no start the cam in the barrel is stuffed you can unbolt the ignition switch and turn it with a flat bladed screwdriver as Joe_222 said but the key must be in the barrel making contact with the key reader

5.0Ltr-StatesMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0
Before smashing it with a screw driver I'd recommend if possible to dip the keys metal surface in some sort of lubricant and repeatedly insert and remove the key.

May not work but is worth a try before fetching the hammer & screwdrivers !!

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Also a techys trick is to smooth out the teeth in the new key with a buffer
so it mimicks a old worn barrell, though your old key should work but dosen`t.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My money is on a buggered barrel. It is common for the pin to break at then end of it and jam it up. The only solution is to remove the whole assembly from the steering column.

Veex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina S2
Also a techys trick is to smooth out the teeth in the new key with a buffer
so it mimicks a old worn barrell, though your old key should work but dosen`t.
Good tip!