Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Switch Recall question

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Here in the USA we have this huge GM campaign about an Igintion Switch Recall. One of many vehicles is the Pontiac G8(VE). Their fix is to take what we call the switch blade key, destroy the key, cut another a separate single key and hand it to you on ring to attach to the remote fob.

Do you guys have such stupid Safety Recall?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Never heard of a 'stupid safety recall' in Australia. If you were to read the facts as supplied with the recall you might discover that the 'danger' with the ignition switch/key problem may result in the steering becoming locked or the engine cutting out !! Nothing stupid about that.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The question beside the "stupid" remark was if you guys have the same recall.

To be quiest honest, the G8 owners that I know never had such issues (engine cutting off) and myself, I am 180 meters tall and is hard to do what GM claims.

Now, here is another question. The VE always came with a swing key type?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Never heard of a 'stupid safety recall' in Australia. If you were to read the facts as supplied with the recall you might discover that the 'danger' with the ignition switch/key problem may result in the steering becoming locked or the engine cutting out !! Nothing stupid about that.

Dude, it is stupid. Have you read the post from the OP which sparked this daft fiasco?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Just to give some inside...

As far I can remember, GM had this issue with the Pontiac Solstice about the Ignition Switch that cut the power off. The inmediate cure is to tell the drivers to remove all heavy stuff from the key rings. Common sense dictates, that if you hang 5 kilos (of course, I am exaggerating) worth of keys your ignition switch will break; the ignition swicth is not a place to hang all your keys. With that been said.... GM suggestion was to take the car to the dealer and separte the ignition key from the owners key ring and hand it to you on a separate key ring. No work performed, no repair done, no removal of Cylinder Lock. Just a Key Ring.

The problem migrated to other models, surprisingly, older models, speacially Pontiac.

I think the problem had an unintended consequence. I have 2 older GMs; one is an 01 and 03. Never had any drama with the switches and they are in their recall list. Anyway, apparently, and this is my take. People went to the dealers for the recall and GM figured out that brought people to their dealers. So from one car, magicaly went to all cars from the Old GM.

At the end, you want the recall to be performed? Come to the dealer and we will give you a brand new Key Ring free of charge.

Now can you imagine you take your VE to Holden and the bloke at the counter, break the foldable key, throws it in the trash, cuts another separate key and puts it in a Key Ring along with the fob and say.... Have a nice day and thanks for coming.

GM Recall #:
N140445

NHTSA Recall #:
14V540

Date Issued:
Sep 04, 2014

Recall Title:
Unintended Key Rotation

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2011-2013 model year Chevrolet Caprice and 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 vehicles. There is a risk, under certain conditions, that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the run position.

Safety Risk Description:
If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.

Repair Description:
Dealers will separate the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter from the key blade and housing assembly. Dealers will then discard the original key blade and housing assembly, ensuring that it is not retained by the customer. Dealers will then cut and fit the revised key blade and housing assembly, in which the blade has been indexed by 90 degrees, to the original RKE transmitter assembly. This will be provided free of charge. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that drivers adjust their seat and steering column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key.

The sad rallity is, GM cuts a separate Key with a Chevy Bow Tie since no Pontiac Keys were produced for this recall.

Last edited:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Dont bother responding to Benboys trolling...

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
this dude is most at risk, he is 180 meters tall! Them knees have to be very close to hitting the key at all times!!!

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The question beside the "stupid" remark was if you guys have the same recall.

To be quiest honest, the G8 owners that I know never had such issues (engine cutting off) and myself, I am 180 meters tall and is hard to do what GM claims.

Now, here is another question. The VE always came with a swing key type?

Wow. 180 metres tall!

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
hahahaha, the doggone decimal point. tried to convert 6ft and is about 1.80M

What system do you guys use, Metric, Standard (as US Standard) or combination of both (seen it before).

The joke is on me for missing the "point"(pun intended)

Holden says Commodore not affected by US recall of Chevrolet Camaro; our G8s came from the same factory as you guys cars.

The only thing that makes me believe is a way to bring people to the dealer to pitch them a new car.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
Ive read about his problem you usa guy's are having and they said although Australia vehicles share use the same part it doesn't affect Australian vehicle's