Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Probably a stupid question

bumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
So I'm all about doing stupid mods on my old vx wagon I had a vz steering wheel and headlight switch I re wired to work cause I wanted to haha

I now have a vy and my question is

Is I possible to program a newer key to work in the car

Like one of the new style switchblade keys

1/1 I doubt but is it possible not practical is my question like can ypu just change the fob ring or re wire it or change the key barrel or something? Or is it just not possible

I don't have access to both on hand to play around with the idea

Ty for any input

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Is I possible to program a newer key to work in the car

Like one of the new style switchblade keys
From what l've been told no. Don't know about swapping ignition barrels, never thought about that before?
So I'm all about doing stupid mods on my old vx wagon I had a vz steering wheel
Me too. I fitted a vf flat bottom steering wheel to my vt, & a few other things.
I've had the car for 11 years, & sometimes l get bored.

Haven't worked out the airbag light yet?
IMG_20221008_151104.jpg

bumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
From what l've been told no. Don't know about swapping ignition barrels, never thought about that before?

Me too. I fitted a vf flat bottom steering wheel to my vt, & a few other things.
I've had the car for 11 years, & sometimes l get bored.

Haven't worked out the airbag light yet?View attachment 258385
Yea idk I'd say the main issue with that would be the clock spring has different connectors th vz wheel I used had the same connectors but I had to re wire the button/horn plugs

As for the air bag warning i just used the $75 enviouscustoms aldl cable and free software to clear it
Screenshot_20231001_115620_Photos.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
As for the air bag warning i just used the $75 enviouscustoms aldl cable and free software to clear it
I have that software & cable, but it can't detect the srs module.

I have a vident i400au scanner that reconizes the srs module. Can't clear code 19 high capacitance. https://www.azscanners.com.au/viden...MIh6mKu8O4-AIVkppmAh3RiQ2QEAAYASAAEgLU0PD_BwE

Been reading the vt workshop manual. Says to replace the clockspring. I'm using the vf clockspring.

There is a capacitor in the vt plug that goes into the airbag. But there is no capacitor in the vf plugs. Yes there are 2 plugs on the vf airbag.

I've replaced the vf airbag with 2012 cruze air bag & plug. Which only has the 1 plug. But again there is no capacitor in the plug.

So now the latest job is to workout how to use the vt plug or get the vt capitor in the cruze plug. hahahaha ;) :) problems, Oh well something to do?

Good luck with your mods. Keep us informed please.:)

bumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
I have that software & cable, but it can't detect the srs module.

I have a vident i400au scanner that reconizes the srs module. Can't clear code 19 high capacitance. https://www.azscanners.com.au/viden...MIh6mKu8O4-AIVkppmAh3RiQ2QEAAYASAAEgLU0PD_BwE

Been reading the vt workshop manual. Says to replace the clockspring. I'm using the vf clockspring.

There is a capacitor in the vt plug that goes into the airbag. But there is no capacitor in the vf plugs. Yes there are 2 plugs on the vf airbag.

I've replaced the vf airbag with 2012 cruze air bag & plug. Which only has the 1 plug. But again there is no capacitor in the plug.

So now the latest job is to workout how to use the vt plug or get the vt capitor in the cruze plug. hahahaha ;) :) problems, Oh well something to do?

Good luck with your mods. Keep us informed please.:)
Haha wow I love this so much gotta do a write up once you figure it out that's cool asf

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Key won’t work because it has a totally different way of working. We are stuck with them. VR-VZ.

VE-VF keys have a transponder. There is a key reader mounted behind the shroud on the steering column that is at the right distance to read the transponder. I can’t imagine the electrical engineering to integrate the key reader into the VR-VZ systems. It would an enjoyable as accidentally sitting on one of ya nuts.

The key blade itself wouldn’t be an issue. It would work fine if cut to your key code.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
get vats removed and use a kill switch

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The VE/VF & VR > VZ Blades are a slightly different profile,

DO NOT put a physical VS > VZ Key in a VE/VF key switch barrel !!!!!
It just doesnt fit,
Its like a Square Peg in a Round Hole !

bumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
Key won’t work because it has a totally different way of working. We are stuck with them. VR-VZ.

VE-VF keys have a transponder. There is a key reader mounted behind the shroud on the steering column that is at the right distance to read the transponder. I can’t imagine the electrical engineering to integrate the key reader into the VR-VZ systems. It would an enjoyable as accidentally sitting on one of ya nuts.

The key blade itself wouldn’t be an issue. It would work fine if cut to your key code.
That was what I was afraid of