Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Im new to holdens, this is my first.

andy011611

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
ok, got the VR Acclaim, it really hammers.
its got 488000km.
two heads have been done, new brakes, all new tyres, new back shockers, engine was overhauled 2 years ago with the heads

Just a few issues though, is it normal for thermo fan not to come on till the temp reaches half?
Why does the power steering make so much noise, im going to replace the sensor, will that make the noise go away?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
ok, got the VR Acclaim, it really hammers.
its got 488000km.
two heads have been done, new brakes, all new tyres, new back shockers, engine was overhauled 2 years ago with the heads

Just a few issues though, is it normal for thermo fan not to come on till the temp reaches half?
Why does the power steering make so much noise, im going to replace the sensor, will that make the noise go away?

Lol half a million kms save your money you can get a vt for 4k these days, power steering could be alot of things but a sensor isn't one

andy011611

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
be ok if i had 4k for a vt, but our car was totalled and i just wanted to get back on the after the major collision we had last week. totally the truck drivers fault, he pulled out in front of us on the freeway going to adelaide. So tbh i dun care how many kms it has done, it still hammers, it only cost us $1200.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
If it was the truck drivers fault, why isn't your car being repaired/replaced through insurance?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bit worried about the VR. "It really hammers" - what does that mean, exactly?

Thermo fans only come on once the engine temperature reaches a level where additional cooling is required. They don't operate all the time.

Power steering has no sensors on a VR. At nearly half a million k's, the pump is probably dying, or the oil level is very low.

andy011611

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
I had only bought the written off car 6 months prior, therefore hadnt got around to insurance yet, still trying to get hold of the truck driver.
Hammers i meant, for a car that has done 488000 its still got the power and doesn't run rough at all, as i said the engine was overhauled.
As for the powersteering it makes heaps of noise when turning the wheel, went to a mechanic earlier an said where it is leaking from just take the plug off and unscrew the sensor thingy and said it will only cost like $20 or $30 for a new one.
Mechanic also told me the engine is in pretty good condition.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think you must have misunderstood what he said. The Acclaim had standard hydraulic power steering in VR's - I'm damned sure there are no "sensors" in the system. The Calais had a different set-up (Varitronic - can't recall exactly) which might have had solenoids or sensors, but I wouldn't think your car has been fitted with Calais steering.

If you have very noisy steering on full lock, it will be a worn or leaking pump. Get a new one or good second hander and replace the pump, fill with fresh fluid and bleed the system.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
dam thats some deadly KM's lol.

your power steering pump as said is dead or probably dying.

as for your thermostat fans coming on you props have a blocked radiator/or a stick thermostat.

ignore the haters its your car, just learn on these forums dont go into to much detail about life things.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
be ok if i had 4k for a vt, but our car was totalled and i just wanted to get back on the after the major collision we had last week. totally the truck drivers fault, he pulled out in front of us on the freeway going to adelaide. So tbh i dun care how many kms it has done, it still hammers, it only cost us $1200.

4k were we are i paid $300 for a black 2000 model vt he thought it had a blown head gasket it was a AIRLOCK 5 min fix but in sydney you can get them for around $1500 for a clean low ks regesterd one.

andy011611

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Well i dont care anyway, i have it now, anyway just spoke to him, said it had new rings, and the such only 2 years ago, remachined heads, it runs really well for the kms it has.