Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

im stumped with this

launertic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice v6 supercharge
my problem is that my vs caprice has overheated, i let it cool down then took it home, after a while i went out took radiator cap off to check for water and then went and started it, when i started it it blew water out of the radiator, not just a little it nearly cleared the radiator, i dropped the oil thinkin cracked heads or gasket but there was no oil in radiator and no water in oil, i am not that clued on with cars so can anybody give me an idea as to what the problem may be.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
best to get a compression test and a T.K test, the t.k test will show exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

a stuck thurmo stat will spit the coolent out also cracked head etc, it dosnt sound good for ya

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
its a buggered thermo stat. this happend in me ute..fix it now before you drive it, i didnt and i needed to get a new head...

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
Another Question

I parked my VS ute on a 30 degree angle (tail gate facing up, motor facing down), (it was also on a slight lean to the left) switched off the engine and begin filling the ute with rubbish etc.

Then we heard a gurgling sound under the bonnet. Opened the bonnet and radiator water was escaping going out the overflow pipe.

This car never gives me any grief and temp is always steady.

I filled the radiator back up, drive an hour home at 100kmph and temp was steady and no issues.

Is this a design fault or is shouldn't I park on a steep angle again?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Another Question

I parked my VS ute on a 30 degree angle (tail gate facing up, motor facing down), (it was also on a slight lean to the left) switched off the engine and begin filling the ute with rubbish etc.

Then we heard a gurgling sound under the bonnet. Opened the bonnet and radiator water was escaping going out

I filled the radiator back up, drive an hour home at 100kmph and temp was steady and no issues.

Is this a design fault or is shouldn't I park on a steep angle again?

I had mine just randomly decide it was gonna dump coolant from over flow, boys on here told me try new radiator cap $7 bucks, hasnt happened since

gurgling might be air pockets in coolant, bleeding it might help

and new thermo like said above, may cost all up $30 bucks to fix

theres a temp resistant thermostat on mace website really cheap upgrade

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Definitely getting compression into the cooling system if its blowing the coolant out the radiator like that.

Most probably the head gasket has blown between cylinders and into the water jacket. Probably explains why it overheated in the first place.

Need to do a compression check.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
yep, what these guys are saying. happened to my old laser. was shooting water up 6 foot high when revved. put a new head on it and it was fine. no water in the oil or anything. cracked into the water jacket etc.

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
It hasn't overheated, only issue was it gurgled while parked on an angle, and there's no evidence of water in the trans or engine

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
It hasn't overheated, only issue was it gurgled while parked on an angle, and there's no evidence of water in the trans or engine

me and some other posters replied to the op. howd u somehow hijack hes thread lol.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
You guys did look at the date of the op right???.....lol