Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In car access to VF Engineering Mode

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Is there a known way to access engineering mode in the VFs; as was available in the VEs?
VE's have
etc ...
Access to easy in-car transmission oil temp (Trans sump temp) checks on the VFs MyLink would be particularly useful for those towing. As above Youtube has VE solutions: our forum had https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-dash-diagnostic-engineering-mode.220617/ In 2013 RiCey GOLD Level Holden Technician wrote "Haven't been informed of any though we weren't informed of the hidden menus in the IQ system either, need to know basis I guess." Has anyone needed to know and found solutions to date for the VF?
Some weird options out there
so maybe a solution to access is available?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No engineering mode on the VF.
Global Diagnostic System 2.
Completely different architecture.
What exactly is it you are looking for? Trans Fluid Temp is via any $2 Chinese dongle and your phone. Much more convenient than stopping car, doing the hokey pokey and scrolling through menus on your DIC.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Monstar you may be right that in a VF we have no other options - alternatively MyLink may also hold some hidden surprises in the VF as in some other GM models. That was the purpose of this posting.
I have used an OBDII dongle in the diagnostic port of my VE, but was seeking if there is a means for anyone interested to easily access some of the hidden information or if needed when on the road test info simply from within their car.
I try to keep an open mind and as we already know through simple things such as the tuning knob ‘rear camera brightness adjustment’, some hidden MyLink features are there which are not in the manual and most users are unaware of.
Other GM MyLinks
(didn’t seem to work for me).
Maybe people could lodge/compile their own findings (a couple of years ago even my Holden dealership service manager didn’t know about the VF tuning knob (when adjusted while the transmission is in reverse alters the brightness of the rear camera (been handy for me in bad (Hi/Low) lighting situations)).

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I generally use the tune knob to select stuff instead of touching the screen, I find it easier while driving.
I often listen to my USB music on random but if I want the next track on the album it’s very simple to find using the tune knob

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I generally use the tune knob to select stuff instead of touching the screen, I find it easier while driving.
I often listen to my USB music on random but if I want the next track on the album it’s very simple to find using the tune knob

I accidentally found that the tune knob can adjust the scale on the GPS map view when using the GPS. I find it much quicker/easier than using the touch screen.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
All good to know.......if all else fails then there's the manual. Haha

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

This is what I did to get various extra gauges
Cool vid, must have been when you first set it up as few of the gauges are out of range like the STFT is only reading one way if you hadn’t noticed.
Also engine is not fully warmed (EOT 70°) yet IAT reads high as the TFT. Just a thought maybe pull some timing up there, starting high 40s on 98 maybe smooth 4° in would help with the wandering idle (12°-20° idles 680-780, 15% variability).
Then again predictability is the opposite of lumpy!

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
with the tuning knob adjusting the rear camera brightness does that work on the series 1 VF calais V or only VF2?
sorry for off topic .
cheers
warrick

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Assumed it works on all VF's. Worked on my VF Calais and current VF2 Calais V.
For those yet to try 'While in reverse and engine running push the Tune knob once then turn the knob to select the best brightness for the current lighting situation' (remembering that will be the new setting unless returned to where it was (typically center range)).
Not entirely off topic as we are all open for ideas starting with finding some tricks that are not in the manual - Monstar is most likely right that a VE equivalent MyLink VF Engineering Mode isn't available/known of in the US or here.