Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In car DVD from EBAY

U

Ute God

i hooked up a 9' JVC roof mounted screen in my ute. As long as you read the instructions and dont rush the job its fairly easy. Remember if your going to go for something that is roof or visor mounted you are going to need to pull the roof lining off to run the wires etc. The novelty does wear off and you end up wasting $1200 but mine is there for show. Ive used ebay a couple of times for misc stuff (not the screen) and its seems the goods. One of my mates buys all his car audio stuff off there and doesnt have a problem

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about ebay audio...
I'd go for 7" in dash.
It seems picking up a brand like Pioneer valued at $2500 retail for $1300 EBAY is good.
But buying one of the crappy $500 brands seems to be a no-go. But I don't have enough in my savings to spend that much before I even buy the car.
I wanna buy one now for my future VN-VP, in the mean while it'll go in the family car.
I guess I'm just gonna have to boil over it for a while and see if I still want one this badly in a week.
I should just focus on saving/getting paid back enough to buy a nice 5.0 1991-1993 Calais.

S

soundmanjimmy

The only problem with the combo from oz auctions is the signal to noise ratio is a bit on the poor side. Meaning that it will have a hiss in the system, it will bug you. Personaly if you want a good system go for Alpine. Pioneer is much the same as that dvd combo, it will sound like s@$#.

Lano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1
I'm considering putting a 7" screen in the dash, and a 8" screen off the roof. I've already got a computer in the car for MP3's & DVD's. Last road trip I went on I hooked up my 17" LCD so my two mates in the back could watch movies. With the 8" off the roof I'd actually be abl to fit a 3rd person in the back! :)

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Seriously I need to hear from someone who has bought a cheap one from EBAY.

Thanks for all your input though, it's kindof putting me off buying a cheap-o. And the price puts me off buying the good ones.

V

VRSTATO

mate i fall into the same category as you. i have limited funds and would love a in-car DVD player. i have looked at ones mostly brand names OSLON and a couple of other ones which come as 2 seperate dins (1 for DVD and th eother 1 for screen). i have held off for a month now due to the fact im worried about things like - quality-o/s factor-complies with my amp and sub-and being like $500 for a full setup sounds dodgy.

but on the other hand i cant afford $1500 for a PIONEER setup. and i figure as long as it does its job whats the big deal. JB will install the products i hope but again this will cost like $200. mate not sure i have almost clicked the 'BID' buttone so many times but just held off. i just checked out a thread about importing sound parts and everyone said go for it aslong as their a garentee's and al this bullshit??????????????????//

what you think????

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I pressed the Buy it now button and would have bought it, but the damn confirmation screen came up and I wimped at the last second.
I've decided I'm gonna get my car first and wait till I actually have $500 that isn't for something. I can't see how I'll ever have $500 lying around once I get a car, all that 98 octane petrol along with other expenses I'll be lucky to have $10 lying around.
I still want one so terribly bad it hurts. But I will wait (unless I have too much coffee tonight and manage to buy one on a caffiene high).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Caffeine influenced purchases are evil.

*looks at keys to VZ*

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Amen to that. Fortunatly I made it to 12:27am just looking at the "buy it now" and I haven't bought it.
I couldn't quit smoking but I have the will power to stop myself buying something stupid.

E

evets358

ebay

Hey MoSkA,

I have bought heaps of stuff through ebay with no problem whatsoever. I have found some ubelievable bargains there. I picked up a brand new Minolta digital camera from America for about 60% less than the Oz RRP. It came in an unopened box with all of the accessories. I have also made similar overseas purchases for things like a GPS unit, a sony car stereo head unit and memory cards for my camera.

Not once have I had a problem with the item or the seller. Having said that though you do have to be careful and read the sellers feedback. I always look to see what other people have bought from that seller. If anything looks odd dont bid eg - I was looking at purchasing a plasma tv. The seller had sold over 50 itmes in the past month and had great feedback. However, when I looked at the items he sold it looked like the guy had opened his wardrobe and sold all of his clothes. He sold things like jeans for $5, boots for $2.50 and so on. Things like this should send the alarm bells ringing in your head. Just with everything else in life - use your common sence. If the deal looks to good to be true then it probably is a scam.

In regards to the in car dvd and screens, if you are worried about not getting the items pay through paypal. You get buyer protection from ebay if something should go wrong. Your credit card company will also offer you protection from any fraud. And at around $500 what have you got to lose? You could always resell them here if you dont like them.

Oh and one other thing, for this transaction you will most likely be hit up for some customs duties - usually the GST component of this item if it was sold in Oz (ie if this item or an equivalent item costs $600 here you will have to pay $60 in customs duties) so keep that in mind as well.

Evets358 :yeah: