Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Increased Fuel Comsumption SInce installing standard mufflers back on

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
Don't know if you might of read my post a few days...long story short, guy ran up back of my NEW sv6, no real damage rear muffler a tiny bit bent at tip, took to exhaust shop and guy took me for a absolute ride - hind sight would of been grate!!!! and gave me straight through pipes which are way to loud especially since my wife gave me the news of a child on the way so quieter the better at this stage. So i fixed up standard muffler and put them back on....mmmm quietness:) Since doing that my fuel eco has gone up into the 11lt avg doing same driving route as usual when it was sitting on the 10lt mark, so for no real reason it has gone up???

Is this because of the ECU relearning things?? or is it a exhaust leak from mufflers?? the bolts are tight trust me:)

I know it may not seem like much but when you have constantly sat on 10lt for who knows how long doing same trip day in day out over 3500kms and get in car after changing mufflers and jumps to 11lt and over for no reason you start to wonder??

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
Well it does seem right, as when your purchasing an exhaust it usualy says that u get better throttle response, more power and IMPROVED FUEL ECONOMEY. I wouldnt have any clue to as why? but maybe somthing to do with less ristriction, MORE FLOW?
Coz at the end of the day thats basically what an exhaust does, gives more flow?

So i wouldnt say theres anything wrong with the mufflers u put on or whatever, seams perfectly normal

Im no expert so if im wrong please correct me someone.

BTW your sv6 is the SIDI yes? i thought it should do 10L ?

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
Yes it is the SIDI...I should clarify yes since new and before installing the straight through pipes i was getting 10lt avg, with them on slightly better at 9.7ltavg but since putting originals back on bang straight up to 11lt avg for no reason????

Allistaire

Reaction score
Members Ride
f6
Mate try taking the battery off for a few minutes and reset the ecu and then give it a couple of days for it to re adjust and it should come back down again. Also have you checked the air filter

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
yeah it a 2500km old K&N air filter so all good there. I might wait till i fill up again and see if it has adjusted itself?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did the muffler change and the filter change happen at the same time? Sometimes oil from the K&N can contaminate the sensors and give you bad economy.

How badly was the muffler damaged? It could have broken a pipe internally and now is more restrictive.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
How badly was the muffler damaged? It could have broken a pipe internally and now is more restrictive.

^ Very plausible, good point ^

All it would take is an internal baffle to be out of place a little bit by the impact, and that could definitely cause more restrictive air flow. The damage wouldnt be visible from the outside.

The fact that you've noticed less fuel economy straight away can easily be confirmed by putting the other ones back on. 1L difference is substantial in the long run.
Got a mate you can borrow mufflers from to test different stock ones?
Otherwise try and pick up a stock set via ebay, there would be plenty of people getting rid of stock units because of aftermarket installs.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Couple questions:

1. Did the disconnect the battery when they installed the exhaust? This could account for the sudden increase. I find that just after filling up and resetting trip comp my fuel average is high and after driving for a while it gets better. So if they disconnected the battery the trip comp would have reset?

2. Now that your exhaust is making more noise, is it potentially your foot giving the command to make the noise more often that is affecting your average fule usage?

Just things to consider.

Hope it helps a bit.

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
thanks for everyone's input, Im only shy of 3/4 of this tank finishing so i will wait and see how i go next fill up. This current tank saw me replace the straight through pipes with originals so maybe it was adjusting itself early in the tank (ie first 1/4) hence the higher consumption avg now at the end of the tank. If i don't go back down to my 10ish avg since new I think the post regarding dislodged baffle maybe the culprit??? Their is no other explaination. Other than that i could get Lukeys / redbacks put in the straight through pipes between flange point and tips???? Do you think it would get rid of the drone????