Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injected 5L into VK

B

blandyVK

i know a lot of people have done this but i just wanted to know if there was any mojor things i need to change ie. the front suspension has me worried due to 19 inch rims. it is already fuel injected 202 so i am not 100% sure as to whether i need to change the tank or the pump or anything like that. any help would be appreciated

thanks

J

james_VK_355

u need to talk to vkberlina he has done the change ova.
read some of the older posts i think he might have gone through his project.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ahhh good stuff :)

OK the 5L will bolt in perfectly no need for a cross member change for any of that crap :)

You will need to change front springs

No real need to change anything at the rear of the car pump wise your existing setup will supply plenty of fuel to the engine.

One tip, stick your battery in the boot if you want to run power steering. We put a VS battery box in my subframe skirt but its still an undesirable amount of space. After my car has been running for a while im going to put my subframe back to original. I am in the mindst of running wire to the boot for my battery.

I have been putting together a site about my conversion located at http://www.members.westnet.com.au/scottl/howto/efi5l/

My project has been stalled for the last month with a broken hand I hope to start work on it again in coming weeks. But it has given me oportunity to work on my site a bit more :)

What 5L are you looking at?
What Gearbox are you looking at running?
How much money you wanting to spend? :)

cheers
Scott

B

blandyVK

in process

i already have the motor and g box (turbo 700) out of a VP series 2, not quite sure, dads mate is doin it for me, engine and box in teh car has cost me 3000 and i have a further 2000 to spend, he is havin a bit of trouble gettin the standard manifolds in at the moment. can you use them or do i need extractors, dont want them atm as of lack of funds. is it also possible to run twin cats or do i bridge it into a single, parts aint so dear ( i work at holden) haha. so eyah anything else on this is good. i will check out the site

thanks mate

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
ok,

Im pretty sure your going to need to get the ECU/PCM edited to disable the body control module/security else shes not going to run.

Trasmission tunnel is going to need modification for the T700 to fit. Talk to scummy about this he went through this with his VK.

Throw out the standard manifolds and get a set of pacemaker headers to suit an EFI 5L in a VB-VK. Have a look at my EFI5L page I put it together with lots of good info including the answers to your exhaust queries.
The pacemakers are a pretty tight fit you wont get the standard manifolds in.
Tip: when you put the engine in with the gearbox attached and the headers bolted on the engine. We had to put my car up on stands and tild the engine and gearbox nearly vertical to get it into the engine bay then as we leveled it out kept moving the engine back. I have 10mm clearance between the headers and the passengers side chassis rail.
Also do a rack swap at the same time that way you can use the original powersteer lines. Oh and bolt in the rack prior to dropping in the powerplant else you wont get the bolts in. and its it bets to attach the power steer lines as well I didnt and spent 2 hours on my own hooking them up.

B

blandyVK

thanks

hey with the gearbox is there anything i need to do to get it to bolt in as it isnt goin so great. do i need a seperate mount or do i need to get smoehitng made up?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I dont have alot of experience with Autos, in truth I hate em :) Talk to Scummy his V6 conversion used an Auto.

However I do believe it should bolt up to the original gearbox cross member, if not have a look at my mount for my T5 http://www.members.westnet.com.au/scottl/howto/efi5l/stage4.htm

You will probably need to massage your tranmission tunnel to allow for the oil pan as well.

cheers
Scott

B

blandyVK

cool

is it possible to get away without changing the steering rack and if not how hard is it to make one out of a VP fit into it. there is one out the back at work i will jstu put a new seal kit in it. any other major things i should know with the conversion. ordered my extractors today as well. i jstu need it back on the road asap thats all

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I am running a standard VK power steering rack no problems.

Mainly just what I have listed on my site if you have had a good read it should cover most of it. As i get time I am adding more things.

what headers did you order? Did you specify EFI 5L into an early model commodore with power steer?

B

blandyVK

gettin there

the extractors went on no problems at all. took about half an hour and all is going sweet. need to fabricate a new gearbox mount and most of the wiring is complete. so about 2 weeks and it should near on be a goer i hope. i need it back as its my daily driver..i miss it to tell you the truth. keep you posted on how things are goin with it