Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injector O Rings, Replacement advice

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Replacing my o rings this weekend as ive blown one and i was wondering what advice anyone has.
Been told not to use vaseline as it wont seal properly.. getting a **** tonne of carby clean to clean the plenum/t/b in the process

cheers guys

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I have used vaso with no problems, i doubt it matters what you use.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You just need a lubricant to help the new O rings slide into place without binding up or rolling off the injectors while you're assembling.
A tiny smear of engine oil rubbed over the O rings will do the trick.

Check and make sure the surfaces your O rings slide into are clean and smooth. If there's any dirt or buildup in there you will have sealing problems.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I just spray them with CRC.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive never been told about injector orings but i would assume you avoid using oil because it may make them swell, just a thin smear of petroleum jelly should do the trick as suggested.
Maybe even good ol rubber grease.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive never been told about injector orings but i would assume you avoid using oil because it may make them swell, just a thin smear of petroleum jelly should do the trick as suggested.
Maybe even good ol rubber grease.

The whole idea of using vaso or engine oil etc on new o rings is to make them swell which seals them up nice and tight in their seats. Its the same when fitting a new oil filter, you put clean oil on the filters o ring before fitting it to make it swell for a tight seal.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I was told you put oil on the filter so you can get the bastard off!!

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
If injector o rings swell from just engine oil there going to have a hard time with fuel.

Where I work (mechanics) we normally use a very light amount of rubber grease.

I believe putting oil on the oil filter seal is both help seal AND get the bastard off.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A lot of people seem to overtighten the oil filter, they dont need to be done up heaps tight. As tight as I can get it with my hands always works for me, along with oiling the filter seal a few minutes before fitting it. I never have any trouble removing them again, but in saying that I always use a good filter wrench to undo them again. I have come across a few that have needed a screwdriver driven through them to get enough leverage on them to get them undone..

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Brett_jjj:2139702 said:
A lot of people seem to overtighten the oil filter, they dont need to be done up heaps tight. As tight as I can get it with my hands always works for me, along with oiling the filter seal a few minutes before fitting it. I never have any trouble removing them again, but in saying that I always use a good filter wrench to undo them again.

Ever had to try undo one in an awekward spot when some numb nuts has use a filter wrench to tighten it? :p that can be fun