Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet Manifold Gasket. Common???

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all,

Just wondering how common it is for an Inlet Manifold Gasket to go on the ecotec? I say this only because it has been a diagnosed problem for both my VS as well as the old man's VT.

My VS has an annoying gushing of water under the dash, no matter how many times i bleed the system, within weeks the bubbles are there again. The cooling system itself is also very rusty. One other thing, when i start the car (usually first thing in the morning), it starts very abruptly and sometimes i see a puff of black smoke come from the exhaust (one would assume because of the coolant in the cylinder heads). I've had the car pressure tested and it came back fine, all hoses, pumps are in tip top shape. Is the Inlet Manifold Gasket gone on the VS?

(The VT has NONE of these symptoms).

Cheers,

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If your coolant is very rusty it means that straight water has been used instead of the approved coolant - if so you can expect problems. Coolant in the combustion chambers will give a white puff of smoke - black indicates a rich mixture.
If you are worried that the manifold gasket could be leaking, add some 'stop leak' to the coolant to see if it makes a difference. This is a cheaper way than ripping the engine apart only to find the gasket is perfect.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
these things are too common, Holden should really be fixing these things. Common for them to go anytime from 80-150,000k's. Check the waterpump, sometimes they go together, with water pump failure causing the gasket to go.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
My old ecotec had 140k on it and never leaked a drop.
Always used 50/50 coolant and distilled water and always added one of those pellets for every 4 litres of coolant you may have to replace when working on the engine.
And always bled the system if ever any air was allowed in.
The L67's are having the same problem and most are replacing the genuine plastic inlet gaskets with metal ones available from the states from Intense, ZZP etc, also Yella Terra here carry them.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If the engine runs hot, the alloy intake manifold sitting on a cast iron block, any slight movement breaks the seal and causes a leak.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Always have topped up the radiator and overflow bottle with coolant, never water. The entire fuel system has been tested and all sensors tested to see if the fuel mix is too strong, definately not that. Apparently when the mechanic had a look (at the last service) he noticed an oil leak in there as well as the broken gasket. Got a feeling i'll have to get it done. What do you think could be the damage to my wallet for a new gasket, a full cooling system flush and pressure clean of the oil?

Cheers,

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Do it yourself... easy peeze.

Cost?

Gregories manual - $50
Inlet Manifold Gasket - $50
New Coolant - $20 (safeway special 2x10ltrs)
Some gasket goo - $10
Oil change - $30 for oil, $10 for filter, $10 for a flush

All up: $180 in parts. Labor is no free!!!!!!

Mechanic? well they will charge you min$60 and hour... so in labour there is like $180 + parts and all the other crap they will sting you for.. my advice.. do it yourself.

aZk.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Unfortunately i don't have the confidence to start ripping the motor apart myself for 2 main reasons... a) I lose patience very quickly!!! Haha and b) Not that mechanically minded.

Cheers,

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
that how i was when i first started with cars... would pay my mechanic to change my damn wiper blades. lol..

Seriously, the gregoires will explain each step as you go. Explain how to take each piece off and how to put them back on again. Its not a job that can go that wrong. Its not like your pulling heads off or anything. Its fairly simple process. All you have to do is follow the guide, post here and take some photos along the way to look back on if you get stuck as to where stuff went. All the info is here.. just have a go. Cars really aren't that complicated..

im urging you to have a go yourself!!!!

aZk.