Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, that little hose lets boost pressure into the crank case pushing out seals and oil where you don't want it.

Yes, you do want the engine to be able to breathe, that is what that little hose does, it allows fresh air into the crank case (filtered air from the intake) that is then sucked through the engine and back into the intake manifold so that all those nasty gasses that would otherwise build up in the crank case are consumed through the combustion process.

Do a search on some turbo build threads, been plenty advice in those on how to set up a catch can on a 3800V6 (Buick ) engine. Look for posts from the user Delcowizzid.

speyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I can see one of your hoses joins onto the throttle body and one goes under the manifold where did you hook that to? The pcv valve or somewhere else??

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
To the breather port on the LIM.

Fulysic

Work to much
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 S PACK S2
thx

Hi

New member here always browse as guest but made a profile now, just want to thank immortality for this how to guide, the oil catch can mod i have wanted to do for long time and thanks to him i was able to achieve it

Only had it on for a few days but it mainly gets fumes and some moisture no oil yet not sure if thats good or bad lol, i still need to add the pipe and steel wool job for another weekend

SAM_0118v23.jpg

Cheers for nice write up

Last edited:

Fulysic

Work to much
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 S PACK S2
Will the steel wool idea you have still work with catch can that has the hoses coming out the side of it, just trying to work out a way of doing it I sort of didn't think that far ahead when i bought the catch can.

maybe i will have to get different catch can thought about gluing the steel wool with epoxy but not sure how that will turn out

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Old thread i know but is this sufficient? One pipe going from rocker to can and venting to atmosphere? Blocked the pcv valve but do i need to unplug it from the TB and block the vacuum line and the where it plugged under the TB?

Attachments

• received_2197843630227562.jpeg
    received_2197843630227562.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 530

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Because these engines use a MAF based engine management system you can't vent the engine to atmosphere as any air that enters the engine must go through the MAF if you are using any sort of PCV system.

How I set up this catch can isn't really ideal as it will only suck out any engine fumes in the crank case but will not allow air to enter to help flush the system which is what the PCV system is designed to do.

You will need to block of the breather pipe from the bottom of the TB going to the bottom of the blower otherwise extra air will back feed via this line into the intake system and stuff up the AFR's.

Venting to atmosphere isn't legal and not really recommended, it's also not that good for the engine as you aren't evacuating the nasties that build up in the crankcase during engine operation.

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Because these engines use a MAF based engine management system you can't vent the engine to atmosphere as any air that enters the engine must go through the MAF if you are using any sort of PCV system.

How I set up this catch can isn't really ideal as it will only suck out any engine fumes in the crank case but will not allow air to enter to help flush the system which is what the PCV system is designed to do.

You will need to block of the breather pipe from the bottom of the TB going to the bottom of the blower otherwise extra air will back feed via this line into the intake system and stuff up the AFR's.

Venting to atmosphere isn't legal and not really recommended, it's also not that good for the engine as you aren't evacuating the nasties that build up in the crankcase during engine operation.
Alright so im best to run the can to under the TB but is 1 rocker cover sufficient for now?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
On our L67 I have the catch can plumbed so that if takes the feed from the hose that used to be attached to the TB, from the catch can it goes back to the top of the original PCV valve cover via a one way valve with the original PVC valve blocked off. Then I re-plumbed the clean air side feed from the bottom of the TB into the oil filler cap on the rocker cover using the Elite Engineering Clean Air Separator. There is a pic of this in my ride thread. With this configuration my oil consumption has dropped to near zero except of course when there is some spirited driving.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 l67 commodore berlina
Quick update

I haven't blocked the PCV yet, however there is some weird stuff going on. Fuel economy seems to have improved....... no idea why at this stage. Going to leave it like this for a little while longer to see what happens as it is now.

to Block the PCV I'm going to remove the plenum and simply squish the end of the PCV valve so no air can get through. I was going to do it yesterday however I couldn't find any Silastic at home :( I had intended to tap the hole in the manifold so that i could simple screw a grub screw into it with some sealant however I don't have a tap big enough at home

cheers
Hay would an l67 b easier 2 install a can on hence the position of the pcv valve?