Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Install of hardlid

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Just brought a hard lid for my VF ute, it has a electronic cable hanging from the inside the guy said he thinks it's electricb never used it. Anyone know how to fit it?
Currently getting painted at the moment, should have it back by Friday. Also it didn't come with a remote.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Should try searching with google first. Try "fitting ute hard lid vf" which would get you to EGR VE/VF hard lid fitting instructions or to this VE thread or this VF thread. If you want to only search the jc forums try "site: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/ VF ute hard lid" instead ;)

In any case, wiring could be for integrating with central locking in which case it should have solenoids as part of the locking mechanism or if afterrmarket, maybe a high mounted stop lamp. You should be able to work it out. Cant see why the lid would need its own remote?

Probably the biggest hurdle is to ensure you got all needed bits/seals to correctly install the lid so it's watertight (see EGR instructions as an example).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just brought a hard lid for my VF ute, it has a electronic cable hanging from the inside the guy said he thinks it's electricb never used it. Anyone know how to fit it?
Currently getting painted at the moment, should have it back by Friday. Also it didn't come with a remote.

The cable is for the internal lamp in the hard lid. You need to remove the tub to gain access to the harness on the rear wall of the cabin for the lamp power, and the power control switch mounted on the R/H lift strut.

2020-03-02 15.22.27.jpg
2020-03-02 15.23.37.jpg

You don't need a remote with a Holden hard lid, you still need to press the latch button to open it.
Its only Maloo's that have remote unlatching of the hard lid.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
The cable is for the internal lamp in the hard lid. You need to remove the tub to gain access to the harness on the rear wall of the cabin for the lamp power, and the power control switch mounted on the R/H lift strut.

View attachment 209658 View attachment 209659

You don't need a remote with a Holden hard lid, you still need to press the latch button to open it.
Its only Maloo's that have remote unlatching of the hard lid.
Thank you soo much for that very informative post! That clears a few things up. I've asked Holden for a quote to wire it up but they said they need to see it before they can quote it.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Should try searching with google first. Try "fitting ute hard lid vf" which would get you to EGR VE/VF hard lid fitting instructions or to this VE thread or this VF thread. If you want to only search the jc forums try "site: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/ VF ute hard lid" instead ;)

In any case, wiring could be for integrating with central locking in which case it should have solenoids as part of the locking mechanism or if afterrmarket, maybe a high mounted stop lamp. You should be able to work it out. Cant see why the lid would need its own remote?

Probably the biggest hurdle is to ensure you got all needed bits/seals to correctly install the lid so it's watertight (see EGR instructions as an example).
Thanks, I actually did search other posts. But imeongnr answered exactly what I was wanting to know. Also if you haven't noticed the fourms are getting less and less posts per day.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Thank you soo much for that very informative post! That clears a few things up. I've asked Holden for a quote to wire it up but they said they need to see it before they can quote it.
You may find Holden actually contract that...I’ve optioned two 3 piece hard lids over the years from a large Holden dealer and I know they use a third party fitter...but then that may be because they had to get it painted ...if yours is already colour matched Holden MAY fit it themselves??

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
You may find Holden actually contract that...I’ve optioned two 3 piece hard lids over the years from a large Holden dealer and I know they use a third party fitter...but then that may be because they had to get it painted ...if yours is already colour matched Holden MAY fit it themselves??
No, it's currently getting painted. The guy who I've brought it off is going to help me fit it.
Now the struggle is trying to borrow a nut sert gun. 150$ to buy one for 8 bolts seems unrealistic...

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Tldr: Ive read some posts of people using self tapping screws instead of using the bolts that come provided to fit the hinges into the body work. Any one offer any insight into this?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Don’t skimp with the fittings..the hard lids optioned when buying the ute new (not sure if other types are similar) are designed to be removed and refitted by two people in a couple of mins (apparently anyway...I’ve never removed one). Shortly before we bought the VE2 in 2012, Holden had put a hold on hardlids for a bit until the fittings were redesigned ...apparently there had been a couple of instances of them flying off the back of utes...someone else on here might know more about this but I think it had something to do with customers not re fitting them correctly after having removed them??? This may have had nothing to do with how they are anchored to the body but I’d still be checking carefully if fittings were anything other than what was originally designed for the purpose.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Self tapping screws are generally low hold strength in sheet steel. Even though they are used in some low strength vehicle applications, I hate them with a passion. They are just cheap and easy and are not intended for repeated disassembly and reassembly.

Nutserts, rivnuts and the like are a much higher quality and much stronger hold strength in sheet steels. They are a much better product which I much prefer. Many vehicle manufactures avoid them due to cost...

So knowing vehicle manufacturers are inherently cheap tight arse types, ask yourself why they chose to use nutserts in their hard lid installs. If anything, that in and of itself should tell you all you need to know about why you should use nutserts/rivnust and the like.

Sadly, cheap stuff has come on the market so check the supplier and packaging so you do end up with a quality high strength nutsert/rivnut or the like.

Last edited: